Friday, August 23, 2013

My Vision* (of Oriental Dance & Life***)

 
Oh, boy! I´ve been accused of some quite amazing things. My favourite - from all the supposed attacks that are, actually, compliments for me - is that all I make is "too personal". Apparently, doing things MY WAY and UNDER MY OWN SENSIBILITY, CREATIVITY and CONVICTION seems to offend a lot of people. Hmmm...strange...I thought ALL truly artistic work had to be PERSONAL or, at least, come from a personal perspective (hence its originality).
 
I hear it all and learn from it all and still there is this water-steel head that refuses to go with the flow.
Indeed, I have no time, interest or patience towards whoever is not in love with what he/she does. I have no space for copy machines or mediocrity and YES, I HAVE a PERSONAL VISION of ORIENTAL DANCE that I am willing to share with whoever is interested.
 
My VISION of ORIENTAL DANCE goes beyond Oriental Dance; it is a combination of INTUITION, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE and - maybe - the ability to see the further or wider Plan.
 
Everything I do is personal - too personal. Indeed. So is my VISION of this Dance that I truly believe can help changing the life of women and men.
It´s not just learning the moves, the music and the culture behind them but a full (holistic) reeducation of the Human Being towards FREEDOM, GUTS, CREATIVITY, SELF-ESTEEM and LOVE (for one self and for others). How many times did I listen my own voice whispering - almost in loneliness: "it is not just a dance, folks...it is way more than that..."?!
 
You cannot be an Oriental Dancer if you don´t stop and smell the flowers or rejoice in the moment the sun kisses your skin;
 you cannot be an Oriental Dancer if you´re indifferent to Life or live limited by your own mind demons; you cannot, certainly, call yourself an Oriental Dancer if your HEART and SOUL are closed or simply sleeping...from "you cannot" do "YES, YOU CAN" - what a privileged job I have! Grateful for the luxury and responsability. Can you see the spectrum of my Vision? Can YOU see* it?
As far as I see it, Oriental Dancing is about becoming a Human Being, nothing less than that.
 
I don´t perform or teach an exotic dance for the superficial pleasure of hip shaking lovers; there are plenty of people who can provide that service. That is not my cup of tea.
The Oriental Dance I perform and teach comes from the SOUL and aims to touch the SOUL (and awaken it) of everyone who gets in direct connection with my work.
It is no small feet - neither big. It just IS*.
If you gotta do something, do it GREAT and TRUE - that´s all.
 
 
P.S. Curiously - and not surprisingly - enough, more and more people (around the world) understand and FEEL that this PERSONAL (oh too personal) VISION of mine is also theirs. Cheers to THAT* recognition and to all the dancers who are living flames with no compromise for mediocrity or any other small shoes of this world. Cheers to them (and they are many, thanks God!).



No comments: