Wednesday, February 3, 2010


Cairo, 3rd February, 2010

Between worlds - the urgent chamaleon...

Living between worlds has advantages and disadvantages, obviously.
Curiously enough, I started belonging to different worlds since I was born.
Being surrounded by portuguese, africans, gipsies and spanish people from such an early age definately shaped my personality and, I guess, has prepared me for all that LIFE would ask of me later on when I left my country to conquer my dreams in Egypt and, allas, in this wide world (and others!).

Being a born city girl within a family of farmers and simple people of the country/earth has also made me a kind of sophisticated peasant. I am educated, cultured (by some standards) and not quite stupid. I love good quality EVERYTHING and love, more than anything, travelling and eating well. I also love eating with my bare hands, sitting on the floor (not matter the situation I am in) and just being simple with none of the usual arrogance and show-off typical of the so called high level people.
I am a mess, really.

I am also a chamaleon who changes its skin colour whenever I land in Portugal or return to Egypt. The needed adaptations are endless as soon as I land in Cairo airport, every single time...

Here are some words beautifuly written by Samia Serageldin in her book (that I recommend) called THE CAIRO HOUSE:


But the two chamaleons are the ones who straddle two worlds, segueing smoothly from one to the other, adjusting language and body language, calibrating the range of emotions displayed, treading the tightrope of mannerisms and mores. If it is done well, it can look deceptively effortless, but it is never without cost. There is no hypocrisy involved, only the universal imperative underlying good manners: to do the appropriate thing, to make those around you comfortable. For the chamaleon, it is a matter of survival.

No comments: