Wednesday, February 3, 2010


Cairo, the 3rd February, 2010

My very own idea of Intimacy and PEACE

Intimacy is a very wide, multi-faceted concept.
Some see Intimacy as a bundle of private moments between two people, some even limit it to sex and yet some, like me, see INTIMACY in a special light that makes me (between so many other of my own weirdest treats!) an outsider whatever I am and by any standards.

PEACE is also a higly coloured idea with distinct shades, tones, feelings to it.
Some consider PEACE as a simple absence of WAR (military war). These forget that wars can exist in the tiniest places and in the most unexpected corners of one's mind and heart.

Both these concepts, when lived/discussed in a country like Egypt, are even more charged with mixed, confused ideas.
Intimacy is something that belongs exclusively to the house warmth of each family or pair of illegal lovers. Public displays of intimacy - physical intimacy - are strongly condemned in Egypt as in many other Arab countries.

I suppose the highest point of the Intimacy scale as far as the common egyptian or westerner is concerned resumes itself in the act of having sex with someone. And, by God, I guess we all know the simple act of having sex with someone can be the least intimate experience of one's own life!

Peace is also an inflammable subject in Egypt which is, thanks God, one of the most peaceful countries I've ever seen in terms of phisical security. When you think about all the unfinished subjects and war still going on around all Middle East, you find Egypt as a surprisingly paradise like territory.

People are, usually, pacific and kind around here. They REALLY ARE.
I am not afraid of walking in the street at night anywhere in Cairo (although I get nervous by the certainty of being sexually harassed on every single step I take) and mosques are full of praying devouted muslims who try to follow the Prophet's calm assurance and humane approach to others.

I believe people try their best in this beloved country. They do not succeed most of the times and they can only do as much as they know. If they KNEW better, they would know better...If I knew better, I would also DO better... (touche!).

Now...what is peace for egyptians and arabs?
And for me?
Is it our western notion of PEACE so different from the ones I find in this side of the world?!

Here's a jewel I found.It may not explain the cultural differences between, apparently, opposite worlds but it surely describes my own ideas of INTIMACY and PEACE but the words wore written by Kate Light:

A house in the country to find out what's true /
a few linen shirts, some good art /
and you.

No comments: