Friday, July 17, 2009




Cairo, the 15th July, 2009

“Sleepless in Cairo – great…I mean GREAT shows and musician pajama party at Mohamed Ali street…and I´m growing…”

*** Lately I´ve been arriving from work so excited and full of adrenaline that I cannot go to sleep, no matter how exhausted I may be. I´m stretching myself further and searching for ways to get better at my work – as well as in my private life – and no camomile tea or lavender oil bath can make me sleep before 4 or 5h in the morning. Being a productive maniac, I read or write, I even coreograph in the middle of these sleepless nights when the energies of the stage are still lingering on me with such strength that I can feel the audience´s breathing and cheering on my skin.

*** I pray for me to be able to enjoy without criticizing myself too much. It´s good to be self-conscious and long for constant improvement but forgetting to enjoy the present conquests and the pleasure of doing what you´re actually doing – I still don´t believe it! Am I dreaming?! – takes all the meaning for what you´re achieved.
My current mission is not only to improve at every shows but to enjoy the shows as well, no matter how much path I still have ahead – thanks God!

*** 1.30h in the morning, Mohamed Ali street – I was invited by some musician friends to attend one of some regular reunions of famous artists in Mohamed Ali street. Famous musicians get together on regular occasions to play together. Each one arrives with his instrument or simply grabs one laying there on the floor, clearly expecting to be used. I am the only girl there and I´m treated like a princess. Some of the musicians have heard my name and are not shy to express their respect and admiration. I feel great surrounded by music and all these creative minds who join just for the sake of sharing their music. I wish dancers were like this!
They improvise, joke between songs and generously play the themes I asked them to interpret for me. I am in heaven…
Outside the windown, I can still hear the endless parade of cars, people and all kinds of lights which will not stop until the morning. It´s kind of a hell out there and yet, just a few meters away from that same hell, there´s an improvised haven of music and creativity that I receive as a major gift.

*** I recognize talent in each one of the musicians. It´s great when, in any artistic area, there´s that moment when an artist recognizes another artist. That sparkle, the second when he/she does something so great and unique that you know you´re the in presence of an artist, beyond all classifications of musician, dancer, actress, painter, whatever…
As the musicians play, I recognize that sparkle in each one of them, again and again…there´s a silence between one song and the other. We´re all aware we´re building a religious temple here. No walls, priests or holly books required: just God being present through the cords, the skin of the tabla, the voice of the singer who is doing it just for himself and for all of us, the silences between notes played with such feeling and truth that I have to hold back my tears from flowing on my face like a strong river.

*** I´ve learnt much from some of my dance masters. I even learnt from non professional people from whom I took a gift or two but no one has taught me so much about arabic dance as egyptian musicians. I am grateful. GRATEFUL.

No comments: