Saturday, April 12, 2014

The way they look at me*

 
I am a NOW lover - always. No matter how great past experiences have been, I am permanently sure the best is HERE, NOW and not in the past. I am also aware that every chapter of our lives has a certain time to happen and it´s essential to close the old doors in order to open new ones (always more expansive and joyful than the last).
 
From 7 years of life and career in Egypt, there´s only three elements I absolutely miss:
 
1. My dear teacher and friend Mahmoud Reda (for too many reasons);
 
2. Egyptian audiences - the ones who built my name, hand in hand with me and God, when no one in the "dance" business believed I would EVER make it without turning into the classical high level prostitute (oh, don´t want to start speaking about it now...);
 
3. My musicians and THE WAY THEY ALWAYS LOOKED AT ME. When I entered a room or the stage, their eyes literally lightened up and showered me with a kind of love, veneration and protection I´ve never experienced in my life. I had my own high chair (like a throne) in our rehearsal room and all of them rose up from their sits when I arrived. They listened to my (often crazy) comments and corrections with absolute respect and felt so inspired by me as I felt by them.
Then again: the way they LOOKED AT ME. I will never forget it.
 
In these photos (taken last year in Ukraine), you can see some of the musicians who worked with me in Egypt and a glimpse of the look I am talking about.
Priceless. Impossible not to be missed.
Love my men. Eternally.

 

 

No comments: