Saturday, December 12, 2009



Cairo, the 12th December, 2009


"I don't want a lot for Christmas"


Living in a muslim country can, curiously, get me closer to my christian roots.Contrary to common belief and according to my own life experience in the Middle East, I think muslims are very tolerant towards other religions. There's a lot of chit-chat about the way Coptics are treated in Egypt and the unfair way most bosses looking for a competent employee will prefer a muslim instead of someone from other religion who might be more indicated for the job.

There is, for certain, a lot of people who will not show me in the face they disaprove of my religious choice but I have never felt that I was mistreated or disrespected because I am not a muslim.

Egyptians, in particular, have a kind, emotional and open attitude towards others and they always seemed tolerant (although they can't understand if someone has NO religion at all).


Distance can bring people and feelings closer and the absence of everything that is familiar to me makes me miss it more than when I had it taken for granted in my own country.

I wonder why I feel like going to the church here when I always rejected that idea while in my country. Why do I pray everyday when I never did it when all my religious references were present on a daily basis.

After loosing someone very close to me and important in my family, I started missing Christmas more than ever. In the past four years, I 've never been allowed to leave from work at this time and now, thanks God!, I can leave Egypt just for a week and be happy surrounded by all the christian symbols I never felt were mine before and that I now crave so much...

Christmas time in Portugal with my family and friends will be a gift for them and myself.

Just something for the SOUL. An whole week JUST for LOVE and to give attention to the ones I really love and who love me back. Now that's what I call a religious experience.

Will be performing at the "NILE MAXIM" on the 15, 16, 17, 18th December and off to the airport only returning to work on the 28th December and ahead with NEW YEAR'S EVE SHOWS AT THE "MAXIM" and other venues in Cairo!


No comments: