Friday, December 18, 2009

Cairo, the 16th December, 2009

“Christmas all over my dear Muslim Cairo”


I’ve been noticing Christmas is everywhere in Cairo.
Although this is a country with a clear majority of muslims , the truth is that signs of Christianity are everywhere. Not only there are churches spread all over town – Coptic churches – as there are shops decorated with Santa Claus and pine trees with shinning lights.

Of course there is a commercial interest in the whole thing. Christmas brings money to the shops but I guess this also has a lot to do with the good nature Egyptians carry deep inside themselves.
Everybody wishes you Merry Christmas, even muslims. Yesterday, the taxi driver who took me to work offered me a rose he dusted off from his lap and wished “Merry Christmas” with the Egyptian accent I learnt to love.

During the muslim Feast “Il Aid Kibir”, Christians as well as muslims wished each other Happy Feasts and I am also guessing again that this fraternity side between religions is one of the many reasons I love Egypt, despite all its faults and absurds.

Cairo wishes you a MERRY CHRISTMAS.
This is the meaning of TRUE RELIGION.

No comments: