Sunday, December 13, 2009



Cairo, the 13th December, 2009

“Azza Sheriff class and the Art of Dancing with your Soul”

There are limits to the things someone can teach you.
A dance teacher can pass over technique, even expression and sensibility, awareness towards the music and a bit of passion but NEVER the SOUL you’re able – or not – to put in your dance.

Not even the greatest teacher can give you TALENT. That’s something God offers you when you’re born (or before that?!).

Today I had another great experience with my dearest Azza Sheriff, once one of the best and most respected Oriental Dancers in Egypt.
The dance workshop took place in a new hotel called “Amarante” (curiously, a Portuguese name!) and was organized my Md. Raqia Hassan.

Result of the workshop:
No choreography – which left most students in a stressed, unsatisfied state – and no explanations, technique or theories.
Azza danced from her soul and we, the students, were supposed to follow her and try to catch the steps, combinations and, wishfully thinking, a bit of the SOUL interpretation she offers the music.

I have studied with enough great teachers to know, by now, what I search for when I apply for a class or workshop. I don’t need the ABC. I am a professional dancer and teacher. I own the ABC.
What I want is to reach a higher, more accurate level of interpretation of the music and THAT Azza could deliver us like a banquet on a golden platter.

Not everyone can appreciate this kind of light.
I ended the workshop being a better dancer. And even a better person.
Love you, Azza!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joana,

thank you for sharing your experience with Azza Sheriff ~ I adore her soulful dancing and hope to study with her someday too!


Farasha
www.farashabellydance.com