Sunday, July 3, 2011




Breaking the rules!






Always a rebel, always going against all kinds of rules I don t appreciate. It shows in my character and, surely, it shows in my dance.



Here s a comment/answer I wrote directed to a fellow dancer (thanks for your sharing, dear Melanie!) on the subject of FREEDOM as a main characteristic of Oriental Dance:

" We can only break the rules after we know them and dominate them very well. Oriental Dance, from where Isadora Duncan got so much of her work s inspiration, is by DEFINITION a freedom dance but, as Rudi (reference to Rudolf Nureyev) says, it is ACQUIRED.
If you try to do it without knowing the ABC very well and deeply first, then you will make some non sense monkey business thing.
It is a mix of study, experience, intelligence and talent and it is surely my conviction towards DANCE: no limits.
Breaking all the rules, after you know the rules so well you can go beyond them."

I had to post this answer I wrote as a plea to all dancers and studants: search within yourself the TALENT necessary to learn the technique and the roots of this dance BUT reach BEYOND all that. Knowledge and accumulated experience are great BUT they do not make GREAT DANCE.
As far as I see it, GREAT DANCE arrives when the one who DANCES has the ability to break all the known rules of his style and make it grow into new, original, fresh and interesting territories.


This is the way all kinds of ARTS evolve and this is the way of GREAT ARTISTS.

No comments: