Sunday, July 24, 2011


Summer has arrived to Cairo!


Summer has arrived to Cairo and some of its treats tend to drive me kind of crazier than I already am...
Mangoes and grapes at their best, for sure!
Warm nights that remind me of Cuba (lacking Cuba s humidity which takes away lots of sensuality from the whole subject) rocking us like babies on their mother s laps. Great!
Ramadan knocking on our doors, making life even lazier and slower than already was (Egypt is still on the undefition of a post-Revolution state with no clear horizon ahead). Not so great!

Not knowing what to dress when I go out on the streets under a blazing, killing sun and heat. Not so damned great, at all!

Getting used to the sexual remarks I ve been hearing for the last years, since I live in Egypt. Well...can I ever classify this newly gained psychological resistance as great or horrible? I guess not. It is what it is.
The thing is there is no place or street where I won t go. I dare to do so. I know I will see ONLY men around me, I do know I will be disrespected and sexually harassed, eaten with strange eyes and even followed home by men who don t know the meaning of a WOMAN but the other choice is to the a reclusive, to stay at home and hide myself ("my body", in this case, is all that I am to these male creatures not worth of being called MEN) like most women do around here. The other choice is to accept the silent LAW that still says WOMEN should be at home, hidding from male s gaze. The LAW that says, if you accept to go free in the streets of Cairo, then you are a tramp who deserves to be harassed and molested.
I REFUSE to abbey any kind of ignorant LAWS.

Sorry, folks! You may harass and show yourselves as the cave animals you really are but, if I feel or need to walk alone in any street of Cairo, God knows I WILL.
And that s what I call a WOMAN.

*P.S. Why would I use a cute Elvis Presley photo on this post with a weird kid looking straight at the camera???
Have no idea.
I just did.

2 comments:

south and not north said...

Any help needed, we gather an army of beautiful godesses and women and will all walk, at the same time, in the streets of Cairo with you!

cairosalegoodies said...

Now that would be a GREAT idea!
If all Women started to ACT according to their own natural born rights - such as FREEDOM and DIGNITY - our reality would be much different.
A single woman ACTING upon DISRESPECT will have the risk of getting into physical confrontation with men in the streets (as it happened to me several times) but a group of women would not allow that to happen.
If only women UNITED, instead of back stabbing each other and being their own worst enemies!
J.