Monday, October 7, 2013

Back to Russia* (this November)

Back home - to Russia* - this November.
Happy Bunny I am!:)
 Teaching, performing and judging in yet another Major Festival where I expect to see loads of talento, humbleness, discipline and passion for the craft of Dance (usual treats in most of the dancers I met in Russia).

 Also excited for what, in the past, was dreadful to me: being a judge in Oriental Dance Competitions. No, I didn´t warm up to the role of a judge. I still dislike being in such position and  think the concept of competition is dangerous and potentially destructive of dancer´s self-esteem and true purpose but I also realized I had MUCH to learn from these events.

 Watching dozens (if not hundreds) of excelent dancers competing and having to judge them (according to criterias most professional dancers don´t even follow - but SHOULD) gives me a rare  OUTSIDER perspective on what a Dancer should be and what the audience expects from her/him.
Other dancers qualities and flaws may well be my own; they become mirrors where I can correct myself, improve, search for a clearer inner truth. In fact, being a Judge in such competitions (with high level dancers who have properly prepared for the event) can be another unexpected School for me. For that* - and so many other gifts - I am grateful.

So be It*.

No comments: