Saturday, November 16, 2013

Joana Saahirah of Cairo performing in Samara, Russia



The light, the filming and general visibility are not ideal but you can get an idea about one of my last performances in Russia.
More and more I admit: I don´t dance for the photo or for the vídeo. I dance for the people who are with me in each show, sharing the kind of DANCE* no machine can ever capture. Technology is cool and has inundated all our lives (making us less Human* and, just apparently, more eficient) but the HUMAN FACTOR  will never - I hope - be erased by the machine dictatorship.

Magic, subtle movements the camera doesn´t capture; a look, a whisper, a moment of deep silence/union: none of those jewels can be seen through this vídeo and yet they´re real and they happened.
You had to be THERE* - in that packed theatre in Russia - to know exactly what I mean.

No comments: