Thursday, November 14, 2013

What it means to PERFORM (Russia reminded me*)

Doing "my magical thing". In LOVE***. Samara, Russia.
Life´s a School and I´m an eager student. The more I know, the less I realize I REALLY know.
 
Performing - speaking from the Soul and sharing my HEART with my audiences.
Judging in Russia reminded me of what matters when it comes to DANCE and, particularly, PERFORMING. No perfection hunt or eagerness to impress your audience will do the trick. When it comes to PERFORMING (dancing for an audience), only TRUTH, PASSION and HUMAN CONNECTION do the trick. Who cares about the moves you master? Who cares if your abdomen is able to mimic the stomach of a person who swallowed a snake? Who cares how many fancy steps you´ve memorized? None of those mean a thing if you´re not TALKING with your audience from a place of TRUTH and HUMANITY.
Show them 1% of what you know (of technique, choreography and other tools most dancers take as final destination) but BUILD a MOMENT of RECONNECTION that no one will forget. Performers instead of Movement Cathalog Clones - this is what I wish to see more and more.
Not surprisingly, Russian Dancers are starting to grasp this concept and I´m sure they can be even greater than they already are. If only...
 
 
An urgent redefinition of the TEACHING PADAGOGY must be done. Dancers should not be trained to be machines and clones of their teachers but FREE, CREATIVE, STRONG INDIVIDUALS who will develop a language of their own from the basis you offer them.
Here´s what I often say: a common teacher will make you depend on him/her, not developing the skills and awareness that can - on the long term - allow you to grow. This kind of teacher will ask you to follow his/her steps, copy his/her movements and accepting whatever he/she says without the right of the doubt. A MASTER TEACHER will do the opposite. He/she will train you in a way that you will be independente and know your tool (body, mind, heart and soul) so well that you comunicate through it according to your own voice. A MASTER TEACHER will offer you the tools to be FREE, to ask WHY and WHY NOT and to Be YOURSELF.
So much exciting WORK********************* to be done.
Yallah! What are you waiting for?!


Messing around with the Competition´s presenter. Samara, Russia.
 
My STAGE:


Oh, yes.

No comments: