Monday, January 16, 2012

The Zar


Beautiful, nicely done short documentary about the marginal dance&music of "zaar", outlawed and ostracized in Egypt.
I call it the psychological clinic for the people.
Therapy through music and dance, a pure, primitive way to Re-CONNECT with oneself. It doesn t surprise me it is considered against the law over here.

I ve been and participated in several "zaar" sessions in Cairo and other villages around it. It always felt like home to me and none of the negative ideas associated with it *(exorcism, the devil s work and other such non sense) applies to reality.
Sure there are lots of intentions behind what s REALLY happening. The participants consider they are possessed by "djinns" that need to be released through the dance BUT what I really see is a group of hard working, exhausted, frustrated, sad women seraching for a healthy way to feel better.

Women play and dance for their own health, their own survival, their own soul s salvation. How can THAT be considered out lawed???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a real "Kudia" gorgeous, I hope you enjoyed your participation.