Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Russia: "My cup runneth over": L-O-V-E.



  1. Oh: Russia!
    It will be impossible to talk about it without falling in some annoying cliches - the great kind.
    Did I already mention I named Russia the "6th Dimension"?! Well, I did. For the best possible reasons.
    From the base of it all I read - in huge, bright neon light :
    "MY CUP RUNNETH OVER" (with joy, emotion, respect, tenderness, appreciation and a lot of other things from the DIVINE lot).
    Where do I start speaking about a trip-event that returned my FAITH and HOPE towards the Present and Future of Oriental Dance? 
    Yes, it is dying in Egypt - its birthplace, roots and original source. But it is MORE than alive all over the world and, in some places (like Russia), is actually developing so much that it can actually FLY.

    My heart is pouring an unstoppable rain of LOVING feelings right now. I am blessed, appreciative and happier than words could ever say.

    ***
    The Feeling of Russia:

    Ok: so let´s start by the most amazing detail that says pretty much EVERYTHING that is important. As I arrived to the Convention Center where the Oriental Dance Federation Competition was happening, I was surprised by a group of small girls calling my name as I passed by them. These girls were Oriental Dance students who were competing and they must have around 6 years old. They recognized me, knew my name and what I had done in my career - so far. I asked how was it possible that such young girls already knew my work and I was informed they watch my videos, study them and even use my choreografies as studying material. 
    I was open mouthed for what it felt like a century!:) and very happy, of course.

    * The EVENT´s organization: 
    Did you know Russia has a National Federation of Oriental Dance with registered and certified dancers from all over the country?! 
    Oh, yes, they do. As they also have "belly dance" passports where certificates and prizes won in Competitions are registered - like a curriculum.
    Helena Ramazanova and Natalia Amira Kuzmina did an AMAZING job with  Europa-Asia Festival (the 10th edition). There were a series of workshops, Competitions and Gala show where around 1000 dancers participated (yes, you read it well: a thousand dancers or more!). 

    I had no idea of the work already done in Russia for the sake of Oriental Dance as an ART FORM. These professionals are doing an EXCELLENT job - and, by now, you must know how much I would appreciate someone who works hard and honestly for Oriental Dance´s sake. 

    Besides being exceptional professionals, they also happen to be QUALITY HUMAN BEINGS and THAT* is another treasure I value more than any prize, glamour or apparent success.

    ***

    * The Workshops:

    I taught a Saiidi and an Oriental Dance entrance on stage by the end of the week, after students were already exhausted but they still gave their ALL in the workshops. 
    The level is the highest I´ve seen so far and there is a DISCIPLINE, RESPECT, HARD WORK APPROACH AND PASSION  for dance as an ART that REALLY touched my heart and made me proud. 
    You can see those dancers are used to approach DANCE - and probably LIFE - with iron fists and a PRO-ACTIVE attitude. They have all the necessary ingredients to be the ARTISTS of tomorrow. 
    Such a PLEASURE to teach these dancers - oh, Lord!


    ***
    * The Competitions:

    There were two theaters with different dancers competing at the same time for the  whole Saturday and Sunday. 
    I was impressed with the level, seriousness, passion and true commitment of these dancers from all ages (from 5 years old to 70 years old): more than impressed: I was AMAZED and, again, emotionally touched. 
    This was no playground: the dancers competing prepared themselves like "ballerinas" do in Classical Ballet; it was obvious they did not take Oriental Dance lightly. They were also creative, original, taking risks and trying new things - creating from an almost childish point of view in the sense of loving what they do and having no prejudices on the stuff they allowed their inspiration to create. 
    I fell in love with these ladies-girls!





    For the first time, I truly enjoyed a COMPETITION and understood the benefits of it. If used in the way I saw in Russia, it can help a dancer´s career (it can launch it, even!) and PUSH EVERYBODY TO DO BETTER AND BETTER AND BETTER. 
    Besides the PROFESSIONAL and LOVING approach towards Oriental Dance, I was presented to a wide variety of dances (from Egyptian Oriental Dance and Folklore to other styles of the Middle East : Iranian-Persian, Saudi Arabian, etc). I was a judge but I was also a happy AUDIENCE waiting to be beautifully surprised (which I was on several times).
    The GROWTH reached in Russia - regarding Oriental Dance - is nothing short of AMAZING and all teachers, professional dancers and students deserve my "hat off". 
    It´s endearing to see a country that RECOGNIZES Oriental Dance as an ART form and not as an "ass shaking" exotic bullshit. 
    Russia: you made my DAY: my month: my year: my SOUL*. 


    ***

    * The Gala-SHOW:

    It´s also known: I have the hardest time ever when I dance with the sound of a cd. Being used to perform with my egyptian orchestra spoilt me for life, I guess. Dancing without them makes me feel like a fish completely out of the water. Yet dancing for russian audiences felt GREAT due to its warmth, curiosity and eagerness to know me and my VISION* of this Art.
    Perfection would be to perform in Russia with my musicians but THIS was already close to perfection.

    ***
    * The HUMAN quality:
    This is - probably - the point I am more sensitive to. The way I am treated and respected as a person and artist. Russia also made my day in this aspect. Both organizers and students were wonderful to me and made me feel totally at home.

    PLUS: Maria Aya - my honey bee - was with us (check photo bellow) and having her near was also a BLESSING. Such an exceptional artist and person! LOVE HER, simply LOVE HER: talented, human, humble, kind, intelligent, funny, sister, everything good you can dream of: this is Maria Aya.



    "In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger, something better, pushing right back."
    (Albert Camus)

No comments: