Friday, December 21, 2012

Fosse's Style: food for the Soul (of a Dancer)



Having a wide background in dance and theatre training from my early childhood has certainly helped me in my career and prepared the territory for the love of my Life: Oriental Dance.
Between many other things, having studied music, dance and theatre from such an early age means that my interests and inspiration sources are - usually - outside of the Oriental Dance box.
I´ve spent afternoons with my dearest Mahmoud Reda (creator of the Reda Troupe and - rightfully - considered the "Father of Egyptian Dance") browsing on Musicals - Gene Kelly is my favourite! - Flamenco, Tango or any exotic japanese dance we happen to have discovered in a strange corner of life´s travels.
I see RELATIONS and CROSSED-COMMON threads of questions and answers in everything I see, taste, smell, feel and experience.
Painting and sculture have been one of my secret and most valuable sources of inspiration - with loads of choreography tips in their luggage; cinema, literature, all sorts of theatre and dances have opened to me more doors than I could ever imagine.

It´s not strange that I keep on tracking clues and secrets in Bob Fosse´s legacy and others who, like him, knew all the rules all too well and then dared (and had the talent for) breaking them - one by one - no rock above another rock.
Widening your perspective on Dance, Arts and Life may make you a Better Dancer and Person - this is a fact I´ve confirmed over and over again.
Therefore: here´s a small Christmas gift for all DANCERS who wish to fly higher - out of the box, out of their egos and vanity, out of the self-imposed limitations ("oh, I cannot do it!" kind of bullshit) and lack of confidence that are such frequent visitors to our fragile beings.

Confidence and hard work; pleasure and seriousness; laughter and a healthy self-criticism that corrects dance low points - not personal faults. Body, Mind, Heart and Soul - together (that´s the way of Oriental Dance and the reason why I believe it´s The* dance of the Present and Future).
Love to all and Merry, Merry Christmas***.

No comments: