Tuesday, June 23, 2009

“1st CAIRO WORKSHOP in CSA, MAADI – Limited places and a GREAT TIME- 25th,26th,27th May, 1st, 2nd and 3rd June”

Cairo, the 25th May, 2009

“1st CAIRO WORKSHOP in CSA, MAADI – Limited places and a GREAT TIME- 25th,26th,27th May, 1st, 2nd and 3rd June”


*** First day of my dance workshop in Cairo…and may I say: UAU!Back in my country, I used to teach around 30 hours (some times,more!) of regular classes per week, plus the monthly events I frequently organized and private lessons to special students who prefered my full attention and a specific program built according totheir own difficulties and qualities.And then it came Middle East…Lebanon, Oman, Egypt and all my focus started to be on my shows which are, until today, my main activityand, may I say, my biggest passion of all…You can take the girl out of the stage but you cannot take the stage out of the girl. I grew up onstages of all kinds and performing has been my first – and, probably –last love. Teaching came later and I feel in love, again…


*** Teaching means, most of all, sharing your passion so it´s pretty cool for me to have a group of people or a single student who´s comingto learn from me and from whom I will also learn so much and share the beauties of this treasure that found me: Oriental Dance.

*** As my time and my attention has always been on the performing side of my profession, it was with surprise that I received the invitationto teach in CSA institute in Maadi, both created and managed byf oreigners living in Egypt and directed to this same community.I was not convinced, in the beginning. I had been reticent to compromise to regular classes due to my time limitations and yet theidea warmed up inside of me and, for the first time in a really longtime, I felt that I would take much pleasure in this new challenge.There are so many activities and goodies available to students whowish to learn Oriental Dance in Cairo! The learning process can bereally thrilling and a once in a life time experience and, as soon asI realized it, I felt excited and eager to start teaching and so I did…

*** CSA is all I love about schools and cultural exchange centers!It´s multi-cultural, cosy, comfortable and managed with taste and withan efficient grip. There are several activities, a library, egyptian artcrafts shop, cafeteria and a wonderful outdoor space where you can sit and take your “cappuccino” while talking with friends or simply reading, relaxing for a while in a warm, harassment-free (Yeahhhhh!!!! ) atmosphere. Now that´s a luxury in Cairo!


*** The students in the workshop come from different corners of the world and that´s part of their interest and appeal. Besides that,they´re genuinely looking forward to learn a new art and get involvedin this new world that dance will open for them.

*** Slowly, I begin to remember the joys of teaching a small group –not the big masses of 300-500 students of international festivals –and being able to give them the attention they deserve. While youteach, you learn and rediscover why you feel in love with this dance,in the first place.


*** I am happy to announce that I´ll be teaching regular classes inCSA Maadi from the 8th June till the end of July (and then New Seasonafter Ramadan), all Mondays and Wednesdays, from 12.00h till 13.30h!Join us!

No comments: