Saturday, June 27, 2009

“Watching Gene Kelly in Cairo”






Cairo, the 14th June, 2009


“Watching Gene Kelly in Cairo”

*** “You are beautiful. You have that “fellahin” touch that makes you special and I love you like that. Please don´t you ever change!” – Says my friend – and teacher – Mahmoud Reda - in the middle of our wonderful afternoon together. How can I not love him for accepting me just as I am and appreciating me for all those complexities and contradictions that compose all I am and beyond?!

*** I am aware of a privilege here and now. Not because he´s Mahmoud Reda, the famous artist but because he´s a truly good, beautiful person I´ve grown to love and cherish as if he was a jewel to keep in a safe place. Not perfect, for sure. Just yet another human being but , for sure, special.

*** I am a fool. I wish to believe that all those whom I love will life forever. Deep inside, I know they´re not vampires – are they?! – and so, obviously, they will have to physically disappear some day but I refuse to take that reality in. I refuse it because I am an awakened fool and a person in love…

*** How many kinds of love are out there?!
Love for your family, for your mum (the love of my life and my biggest reference), for your friends, for your lover, co-workers and pets and then the love for special friends whom I call “soul friends”. Mahmoud is one of them.

*** My sweet friend ordered fish and shrimps because he knows I am a “fish person”. I eat the fish with my bare hands, I take off my shoes and he knows it´s normal for me to choose to eat on the floor. He doesn´t ask why. This is me and this is the Joana he has also grown to love. Isn´t all real love, all kinds of love, accepting?!
I sing Dalida for him, he sings “Swing” (Frank Sinatra classic) for me and all we can do is smile and laugh like children.
We choose to see the famous musical “Singing in the rain” together. Mahmoud has seen it several times but he tells me how important it will be for my artistic education and he insist we see it together. I cannot say no. He knows of my passion for the genius Gene Kelly and I know that it´s a shame I have never seen this classic!

*** Watching a movie like this with Mahmoud by my side laughing at the same jokes and opening his mouth in disbelief during the tastiest dance bits it´s a life experience I will never forget. Common sense assumes that the simplest things in life are the better and I agree with common sense on this one.
Just me and my dear friend watching Gene Kelly in amazement. Nothing spectacular there and, yet, these are moments I will miss way too much in the future and I am aware of that.

*** I thank God for all my work, success, love and appreciation around me. I also thank about my health and wealth as I am far away from being financially rich but I am, without a doubt, rich in the matters that DO MATTER.

*** We made rewind on our favourite dance parts in the movie. We laughed and admired the talent and creativity in the movie…not even the heat of a 40 degrees Cairo city could distract us.

*** Very simple, I am aware of that.
Precious. I am aware of that too.

No comments: