Tuesday, June 23, 2009

“Children´s day in Portugal and new baby adopted…how I fell in love with a street cat of Cairo…”




Cairo, the 1st June, 2009

“Children´s day in Portugal and new baby adopted…how I fell in lovewith a street cat of Cairo…”

*** In Portugal, the 1st June celebrates Children and their rights. By coincidence – or not! – I fell in love with an abandoned baby cat which hanged around CSA institute. It had a broken paw, a lovely strong look expression in her eyes and it kissed my hands as if there was no tomorrow when I touched her for the first time.I don´t remember to even notice her colour and general looks. All Isaw was her soul and immense sweetness and I fell helplessly in lovewith her. It´s true that real beauty is the one that comes from within. This divine creature is a proof of it.It may sound corny and exaggerated but I left the cat lounging on a garden chair in CSA and went to my class with tears in my eyes. Assoon as I finished the class, I searched for my new passion and foundher with a lady from ESMA (Egyptian Society for Mercy to Animals) who asked me if I wanted to keep her.

*** Oh, temptation…temptation…as an animal lover, I cannot understandmy fellow human beings which are unable to see the incredible beauty,magic and wisdom of animals. In Egypt, there is sympathy for cats buta weird aversion and even terror to dogs and all other kinds of animals.

*** My only problem was my constant travelling and the problem of not being able able to go on an airplane with two cats (I already have mycat, the Queen, Sweetie!). The lady – seeing temptation in my eyes… -assured me that she would keep the baby cat every time I travelled.So…no excuse not to adopt an orphan with a broken paw and a beautiful gaze.

*** After going to the doctor – most egyptians laugh very hard whenthey hear I took a street cat to the doctor! – and taking her home(provoking a predictable jealousy crisis from my Sweetie), I realized that she had been rescued and taken to a place where she will be treated with care, attention and love and yet I was the great RECEIVER in the equation. I brought an angel – one more – to my home and a blessing. This became clear to me in a recent, sunrise time dream.This is not charity or an act of kindness to adopt an animal from the street. More than all that apparent truth, I can see clearly that thiscat has been offered to me as a gift.A blessing. A new light into my home and my life.

*** Sweetie – my other cat - is going nuts with jealously and looks atme as a cheated husband might look at his wife as if saying, between her teeth and with her fists held in strong tension: “You traitor! You have the nerve to kiss me and bring the smell of your new love on your hands…have you no shame on your face?!”

*** Searching for a new name for the adopted baby. Any suggestions?!

*** If you´re generous and feel like helping to take animals from thestreet and avoid their massive killing – as it often happens in Cairo– please be kind to contact ESMA (Egyptian Society for Mercy toAnimals) –Mona Khalil : +20122188823 / mona@esmaegypt.orghttp://www.esmaegypt.org/There are many ways to help:ADOPT – SPONSOR – DONATE – FOSTER – VOLUNTEER

No comments: