Tuesday, September 15, 2009




Cairo, the 6nd September, 2009

“Reminders”

Tonight, just before I got on stage, a question from my Egyptian assistant made me remember the reason and purpose of my life’s direction.
Have I chosen Oriental Dance as a profession and life path or has IT chosen ME? Who makes the decision is not clear to me as I feel I was drowned by God’s hands into an adventurous life I hadn’t decided for myself.

In the succession of busy days and nights, troubles and wonderful stuff we’re living, it’s easy to forget WHY we do what we do and WHY we felt so fascinated with something – or someone!:) – in the first place.

Right before I got on stage, my Egyptian assistant (who prepares the best “chai bi nana” for me before every show, God bless her!) asked me something essential that turned the night into a whole refreshed, fully lived experience, once again…
“Why do you love “Raks Sharki”/Oriental Dance?” – She asked me, out of the blue.

There was just a split of a second until I answered as if the words were ready to spout off my mouth for centuries:
“Because it is the language of the heart and the language of the soul. When these two speak, they do it through Oriental Dance.
Isn’t it marvellous?! I don’t even know how it can be considered “haram” if it’s simply DIVINE?!”

This simple (?!) question made me remember why my struggle makes sense and why I have given up so much for my ART. Thank you, Nagle (again, our masters come from the most unexpected places)!

I also couldn’t stop but wonder, once again, how different human being perspectives and minds can be. In the heat of Ramadan, here I am talking about Oriental Dance – the highest of the forbidden devious things in Islam! – as a DIVINE language.
Something that represents evil and deviation from God’s path (for most muslims) is, at the same time, as far as I’m concerned God’s language itself. The way God manifests Himself through my soul while I’m dancing. How different from most people’s perspectives who see it as “haram”!

The world can be seen through many, many colours, indeed.

No comments: