Tuesday, April 13, 2010


Cairo, the 12th April, 2010


NEW DEHLI - INDIA PART III


NEW DEHLI:

Another big metropole - extremely polluted although I feel Cairo beats it to the points - where you can see the extremes of indian society to an obnoxious extent.

The Old Dehli with the traditional markets, dark alleys of strange, magical shops with enchanted potions you get afraid of, the famous and infamous rikshows (chairs attached to bicycles rode by skinny legged men who will ask for a few ruppees to take you all over town) and poorest people and the New Dehli with the fancy compounds for the rich families and descendants of the Maharajas and such...


Between all the markets I took a looksie at, the Khan Market with its amazing libraries and local fashion designers really made me wish I was a millionaire...I'm not even a shopping kind of person but this market made me crazy with its rich embroideries, modern indian designs that took your breath away with their beauty and delicious bookshops with material about dance, music and all cultural matters related to India.

I felt New Dheli was kind of plastic and lacking in authenticity and cultural character. All the big cities seem to have lost their sense of identity, don't they?

I was delighted with the food, though...you can find some AMAZING restaurants in New Dehli as well as some SPAS with Ayurvedic treatments that really make my day.


Did I say I LOVE indian food to the extent of madness?! Well, I said it now.

New Dehli is full of great indian food as well as highly manicured, polished rich ladies who shop all day and show you the REAL meaning of VANITY.
Bollywood stars get together with the highest caste - the Brahmins, the Religious caste - and the Untouchable's caste is, in fact, considered Untouched. Prejudices walk hand in hand with the richest, wisest, most interesting Spirit any country could have.
Knowledge, spirituality and material arrogance are evident in the big cities like New Dehli.
As a true country girl, I longed to reach the deep, interior India and so I did...


WHAT STROKE ME THE MOST:

1. The caste system that divides indian society in different levels outlawd by the Indian Constitution but still very much alive in the country's daily life.

2. A great mosque situated in the heart of the Old Dehli and the first Islamic mosque (with the tallest minaret)in the world. I felt closer to Cairo as I listened the calling for the prayer inside of the mosque. I am not a muslim but learnt to know, respect and love some people that happen to be muslims and are part of my life. That brings me closer to the religion itself.

In India, you understand and REALIZE that all religions are ONE and speak of the same thing.
The way hindus respect muslims, jewish, buddhist, christians and everyone in between is astounding and touching.

No comments: