Friday, April 9, 2010

Cairo, the 9th April, 2010

Hey, Mr. Dj, put the record on!

There's a famous song from Maddona which says:
Hey, Mr. Dj, put the record on
I wanna dance with my baby
Hu hu hu...


And there it goes on...

That's the one who got into my mind in a recent taxi ride I made to my personal masseur (yes, I am so fancy that I have my very own personal massagist and I say it in french cause it sounds more relaxing).

I got into a cab with a lady - monakaba/totally covered muslim lady - already sitting at the front, by the side of the driver.

As soon as I got into the cab, the driver smiled at me from the rear view mirror and changed the arabic music playing at the moment for a drastic, magnificent and sexual Prince album he owned.

Some drivers will carry around a DJ collection for locals and another for foreigners because they think a foreigner will enjoy FOREIGNER music more than arabic.
This was one of these drivers but, what a hell, he didn't need to go as far as Prince.
Don't get me wrong.
Prince is a gemini like me and I adore his music.
I find some of his sexually explicit songs extremely alluring and fun to dance to but I am talking about GET OFF and CREAM.
These were the songs he had playing on his cd player.
Some of it says:

Get off...let a woman be a woman and a man be a man...
get off...if you want me baby, here I am...
there's a rumour going around that you ain't getting served...
let me unzipp it...
cream...get on top...cream...don't you stop...
put cream...right THERE!

And the beautiful, poetic lyrics went on and went accompanied by the driver's and the monakaba's dancing heads with no idea of what the lyrics were saying.

They both checked on me to make sure I was enjoying myself and their naivete made me laugh. Here I was with a religious - I suppose, although being completely covered doesn't assure she's a religious person - lady and a humble, old, taxi driver dancing along and even trying to sing along with Prince talking about putting cream in strange places of the human body and I couldn't stop to smile.

I wonder what would be their reactions if I translated a bit, just a bit, of the song's lyrics.:)

I love Egypt.

No comments: