Saturday, June 11, 2011







United Nations Development Programme.





The initial idea was to simply see a flat to rent. Yes, that was the initial idea but Cairo will always be Cairo and that means SURPRISE, SURPRISE! Every moment is a mystery, an umpredictable reality that will visit you when you least expect it.





Cutting the story short, I ended up at the Marriott Hotel at an United Nations Conference about "Pathways of Democratic Transitions" held by some of the most respected politians, journalist and analysts of Egypt, Middle East and Europe.



Oh, well...there I was with my friend/potential landlord holding our respectable dossiers for the evening, listening about the political future possibilities of Egypt and how we must learn from other countries which led similar Revolutions and made a successful transition from a dictatorial regime to a FREE, DEMOCRATIC one.

All I wanted was to see a flat to rent. That was ALL. Was it?!
*Remember you re in Cairo and repeat it to yourself a thousand time and then you may understand why there is nothing for CERTAIN in this city.

Did I enjoy it? Of course I did. I never say no to a challenge, specially if unexpected.



Loved to listen to the politians speaking in different languages, loved to know more about the subject and to see - with a mix of cynical disbelief and hope - how human beings still believe that CHANGE can happen and that the GOOD intentions of some honest indiviuals can overcome to astounding blind ambition and corruption that it s usually found in POWER positions.



Keeping my fingers crossed...just in case. Life is not like a children s book. Evil is not always crashed by the good fairies and the Princess does not always ends up happily ever after with her loved prince. Life is much more complicated and coloured than that.



From the deepest place of my soul, I wish the BEST for the country which I also call mine. Even with all its faults (faults of the PEOPLE who make the country, not the country itself), Egypt is my home, an old one for that matter. And you always return home, you fight for it, you defend it and you work your best to make it as you wish it will be.





The best for my home means the best for Egypt. Still believing in fairies and prince charming...



No comments: