Friday, January 11, 2013

Almárabe Festival (my return to Malaga, Spain)

Happy to announce one more event in the world: "Almárabe Festival" in Malaga, Spain this 15,16,17th March.
So glad to present a couple of workshops, performances and conference in the city of my favorite painter: Pablo Picasso.
More detailed infos will be soon posted here and on my website: 



As I realize and confirm - with a crescent intensity - that Oriental Dance (TRUE Oriental Dance - not the commercial, superficial joke a lot of people sell for oriental dance) belongs to the World - not just to Egypt or any other specific place that may have given birth to It* - I also see the World answering back.

Yep: I always knew this was my Path - from the moment this Dance took over my life (not offering any possible way of escaping my destiny: myself): 
First I would have to go to Egypt to recover my past ( long and complicated subject suitable for another post(s) ); I would have to dig deep into egyptian ground (finding all kinds of roots, worms, snakes and beyond imaginary creatures and experiences); I would have to WORK on the field in Egypt, dancing with egyptian musicians and for egyptian audiences. 

Then - when the past recovery was done (which it was by the time the Revolution "almost" happened in Egypt) I FELT in my heart it was time to MOVE ON and SHARE WITH THE WHOLE WORLD ALL THE RICHNESS - HUMAN, ARTISTIC, MAGICAL - I GATHERED IN 8 YEARS OF AN AMAZINGLY SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN EGYPT.

It´s frequent to be asked if I felt afraid for the death of music, dance and arts in Egypt after Muslim Brotherhood took over the Government. My answer is quite simple and difficult to chew for a lot of people:
I saw it coming from the last years of life and word in Egypt - only a sleeping person
 wouldn´t. I knew that Muslim Brotherhood would win elections - if these were held fairly and that would affect ALL sectors of life in the country, particularly Women, Dance, Human Rights, Justice, Security and so many other essential things one tends to take for granted.

Besides that I KNEW that I caught the tail of the dragon - the last glimpse of the ancient and magical Goddess Dance. Suddenly, there was nothing else to dig out from the ground except a deep sadness of watching MY beloved Egypt turning into a poor copy of Saudi Arabia and other "cavemen" lands.

I also felt Egypt turning into an Islamic charade for a LONG time - even before the January 2011 revolution attempt. I knew this chapter of my Life was closing in order to allow me to FLY HIGHER and TAKE all I LEARNT to the 1000000 corners of the world. 
As long as there is a human being dancing from her/his heart and soul Egyptian Dance CANNOT die (and I am aware that only a few* understand exactly what I mean).

Many stories have been told about me and my reasons for this or that. Those people who talk have no life of their own - therefore they "imagine" MY LIFE. I find it sad and endearing at the same time. It´s - in a twisted and sad way - the best kind of compliment.

Only a handful of  CLOSE friends know WHY I decided to distance myself from Egypt (although I still have my home there as well as professional responsabilities I must attend to) and those - the ones who know! - are the ones who keep it to themselves. So do not believe envious, frustrated, mad and lost people. By speaking about me they only reveal who THEY ARE - not even touching me or who I am.

Besides the professional TURN I wanted to make for a long time (and the Revolution was just a pretext for the MOVE), there were daily struggles who were making me physically and mentally sick.

It got to a point that I could not go out in the street besides my home (in Zamalek: supposed to be the poshest and safest place in town) without having a nervous attack and being  aggressive towards men who would sexually harass me every thirty seconds (shamefully supported by passers by: men and women as well). It felt like all the mice came out from under the ship and the status of WOMEN (which was never on the human level, anyways) went totally down the drain - allowing an amount of disrespect, insecurity and sexual harassment I had never experienced in Egypt. 

Once I caught myself grabbing an harasser by the neck and yelling at him in the middle of the street I KNEW it was more than time to move on. Sure I respect the ones who insist on saying everything is cool and no change has happened in the country but "we" know how much they are lying - specially to themselves.  I also respect the dancers who keep barely  surviving (because Oriental Dance work in Cairo is - right now - bellow the poverty line and impossible to assure a dancer´s basic needs of living) in the middle of that spiritual cemetery but that is not the kind of life I want and deserve - specially all I´ve already been through and after paying way more than my dues. 

Everyone chooses their own struggles, challenges and pains (God knows I chose mine and how much I learnt from them) and it is my right  to recognize THIS is not my battle field anymore. There are bigger and CONSTRUCTIVE arenas to ride from NOW on. Allowing ignorance to destroy the Love I have for egyptian dance and Egypt is not part of my destiny or goals.

Meanwhile: working, working, working. So much on my hands I can hardly breath.
Eilat Festival next and a mean "baladi" piece to choreograph (a piece which is taking my sleep-breath away). Baladi is a naturally improvisation style - not something born to be frozen/choreographed. So I am challenging the laws of nature and my own patience.
It´s like trying to hold on to a VERY slippery fish between my hands. Oh, Lord: give me strength and focus to deal with this dragon (I will* do it*).


No comments: