Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Performances in Russia = LOVE*

My first trip to Russia was unforgettable. 
There I found the highest artistic level of Oriental Dance, incredibly committed and professional teachers/dancers and that WINNING COMBO of TALENT, HUMBLENESS, DISCIPLINE, RESPECT for the DANCE, CREATIVITY that is always RULE BREAKING and HUMAN QUALITY. 
Yes: I fell in love with Russia and the russian way of DOING IT. Sure it´s easy to criticize and point the stuff that are not - yet - done but the POSITIVE work I saw there was 10000 times more relevant than any weak point I could pinpoint. 
"My cup runneth over" in Russia.:)



Performing in Russia was one of the biggest pleasures of my career - so far.

Dancing is not - in my opinion - an empty series of beautiful movements. It is THE HUMAN EXPERIENCE par excellence and that includes sharing all you are and have with your audience.

One of my in-famous tabla solos with a taste of "Cabaret Musical".

Never underestimate your audience: they can SEE better and further than you think. Communicating with my audience from my soul has always been my goal (I try not to fail at It as much as I can).

Tabla solo ON the CHAIR and with a spotlight totally blinding me (directed to my eyes). What the audience does not know is that I was about to fall off this chair on many - MANY - occasions. My guardian angels were there avoiding a majestic fall.

Backstage - HAPPY.

Dancing Om Kolthoum : pure HEART.

Backstage with the lovely Maria Aya and one of the many talented dancers I met in Russia.

My favorite shot from the show. The crazy tabla solo with a modern version of an egyptian girl "shaabi" cloth. I had the image of young egyptian girls in Cairo for this tabla solo. They cover and yet they reveal. They wear the head veil and yet they show off their body curves through tight cloths. Contradiction: just like Egypt. 

The STAGE has always been the HAPPIEST place on earth . There I feel COMPLETE,  UNDERSTOOD, TOTALLY FREE, APPRECIATED, LOVED and connected with other people on a SOUL LEVEL. The stage is my home, my bed, my kitchen, my secret garden where EVERYTHING is possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love ur style.