Monday, January 11, 2010



Cairo, the 11th January, 2010

"Dancer VERSUS Orchestra"

This discussion is very common between managers/pimps/empresarios. Who/what makes a great dancer?

Musicians know, by their own experience, that talent and empathy with the egyptian crowds is not something an orchestra can give to a dancer. There are obvious examples of dancers who have been marrying egyptian managers in order to get easy legality (being able to work in more than one venue,right that is denied to foreign dancers who can only work at ONE SINGLE place at a time), more work and better orchestras and never EVER achieved the appreciation of local audiences...(guess it's not worth the sacrifice and the prostituting!).

As far I as know, the better the orchestra, the better the dancer IF and only IF this dancer is talented, intelligent and knows her craft very well (or sleeps around with some rich guy who opens up the gates of the market for her).
As a dancer, you do what you hear. The body of the dancer translates the totallity of the music and each voice/instrument present in her orchestra. We are the first and the last musician and the one who resumes the core of the music.
Following this logic, the better the music I hear, the better the dance.

One of the privileges of being known in the market is, in my particular case, having great musicians willing to work for me even if I am not able to pay them so generously as I would wish to.
As I gather a group that suits me I realize that a great voice gives me wings to fly. A talented violin awakens things in me that a poor one wouldn't.
I am aware of the importance of a good/great orchestra and yet I keep in my mind this fact I came to confirm again and again:
Only God makes a talented dancer. Not the orchestra. Not a smart ass manager. Not a gorgeous dress.

Working on my assets...

No comments: