Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cairo, the 14th December, 2010

"Brainstorming"

I am a brainstorming kind of "gal", that´s for sure.
Exchanging points of views, informations, passions and bits of genius material with those who "have it"!Ahhh...only a very few pleasures can keep up with that one.


Not a lot of things can get me up and going as finely as an interesting talk or exchange of ideas that might end up into something new and beautiful.

I am a gemini, for God´s sake. Yoy cannot get more "brainstorming" loving than that!
I also happen to search for people - men and women - who are, at my eyes, more intelligent or knowledgeable than me. I just get a huge kick out of learning from those who know more and better than me...it´s humbling and it can only make you grow.

So that´s one of the reasons why I am enjoying a series of encounters with egyptian composers.
What a pleasure to listen, observe, understand and appreciate what they have to offer me (well...offering is not the exact word as they SELL their stuff, they DO NOT offer anything...just thought that should be clear!).

I am shopping for music and that´s the kind of shopping I really like.
Sorry to all my fellow women of the whole world but real shopping, for me, has nothing to do with new dresses and shoes but...MUSIC.
More expensive than shoes and far more difficult to choose.

Of course there´s a "headache" side to the whole music shopping matter.
I ´ve listened to a LOT of crap and I am taken by a fool more often than my patience should allow it but, in the end, not even the best marketing experts (and egyptians are GREAT marketing experts so great that they can sell you rotted grass as if it was a brand new freshly picked rose!) can convince me to buy bad music.

I am searching for something "new" and the great difficulty in that resides in the fact that oriental music for dance is dead in Egypt. Where is the new generation of composers for dance? Where are them?
Where are the new ideas and concepts?

Oriental Dance can hardly evolve without a music that also evolves with time. Dance comes WITH the music. It´s its base. All dancers do is reading the book but imagine if that book is saying the same old wasted words of 50 years ago? Nobody is surprised by it anymore or feels interest in it. Art has to evolve to survive.

MY NEWLY DISCOVERED MATERIAL ADDICTION:
Shopping for music!

No comments: