Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cairo, the 8th January, 2010

“Om Kolthoum – part II”

Cited from (Wikipedia Encyclopedia) :

“Um Kulthum had a contralto vocal range.she can sing as low as the 2nd octave, and the ability to sing as high as 9th octaves at her vocal peak.Her remarkable ability to produce 14,000 vibrations/second with her vocal cords,unparalleled vocal strength (no commercial mic for singing can withstand its strength forcing her to stand at 1-2meter radius away, her voice's unique breathtaking beauty over convention made her the most incomparable voice of all times.”

I am no expert or musician but I know, by intuition, when I hear a great musician or singer. I can tell if someone is an ARTIST in a minute of listening to him/her and this is no small quality when you are your own director’s orchestra.
Curiously enough, I correct and orchestrate all my musicians by ear, sing them the rhythms and melodies (they’re all in my head) of each song, indicate notes, pauses, details and nuances all though and inexplicable intuition and musical memory I was born with (Thanks God).
From all my senses, smell and hearing are the BEST and in those very fear can beat me.
So, when I listen do Om Kolthoum, I know in my heart that she reaches EVERYWHERE and all sensations with her voice. It’s a COMPLETE voice and a genuine one.

Still on the EXCELLENCE department regarding music, here’s something also amazing I am digging into:

“MUSICOPHILIA, Tales of Music and the Brain”, by Oliver Sacks

For dancers, musicians and other artists – or “common people” – who wish to understand why music plays such an important role in human existence.
Being a dancer is not, for me, an exercise of vanity but an attempt to communicate between worlds, reach people’s hearts and souls and understand the Universe we’re in. This book is helping me do it.

No comments: