Thursday, January 7, 2010



Cairo, the 7th January, 2010

“My one and only veneration”

I don’t believe in masters who know everything or are able to guide you through the mysterious paths of art and life.
I believe everybody is a potential master, depending on the intelligence and sensibility of the student.

I also abhor idols and adorations so…I have my favourite dancers but I don’t venerate any of them.
This is not truth for my one and only ADORATION: USTAZA OM KOLTHOUM.

Like Fernando Pessoa (Portuguese poet), the great singer Om Kolthoum is a non- arguable, non – negotiable absolute idol of mine.
I know she’s dead since 1974 but she couldn’t be more alive than she is right now in my heart or in the heart of people who religiously go to “El Sewy Centre” (in 26th July street, Zamalek) to attend her puppet show (every Thursday of each month).

Yes, you heard me well… there is a PUPPET SHOW mimicking Om Kolthoum and all her orchestra on stage and people – me, included – fill this theatre every given Thursday to listen to a bunch of puppets pretend they are alive and singing/playing the DIVA’s repertoire.

They do the same for Abdel Halim Hafez, so I heard.

The most amazing aspect of the whole puppet concept is not even the childish side of it but the fact that people pay attention, applaud and vibrate (often clapping, cheering and shouting words of praise) with the whole show as if Om Kolthoum was alive, right there, singing for us.

As far as I am concerned, I hit the bottom AND DECLARE MYSELF CRAZY, AS BEFORE.
I caught myself actually crying when hearing “Il Hob Kollo” sang/mimicked by the Om Kolthoum’s puppet!!!
Of course I didn’t cry or got emotional through the puppet but through the singer’s voice that was all around the room. Somehow, hearing her voice and seeing a figure that represents her can REALLY bring her back to life or so it did for me.
How great is the love for this singer that, after so long, people strive for her voice and create a fantasy with her “persona” in order to have her again on earth?

Well…I often speak about the differences between me and Egyptians/arabs.
The ABSOLUTE VENERATION for OM KOLTHOUM is something I have in common with this country.
Through Om Kolthoum, I can see the best of egyptian’s soul. I can even know that people have a heart which beats and feels, cries and smiles.

How did I end up crying at a puppet show?!
Well, that’s another story and also something I have in common with Egyptians.

No comments: