Sunday, January 17, 2010


Cairo, the 17th January, 2010

@Portuguese singer MARIZA at the Cairo Opera House @

Being a portuguese started to mean something when I left my country to chase my dreams.
I am aware of all the goods and bads in my homeland - as I am regarding to my second homeland, Egypt! - but, in fact, I am so proud of belonging to Portugal and I guess I don't express it enough.
There's something about the place we're born...what really connects us in a special way to a place must go beyond our birth certificate. It's some kind of invisible, emotional umbilical link that we can never cut.

I've never looked back in my life or regreted my choices. Life is meant to be full of errors and learning, departured and arrivals, light and darkness.
So when I miss my country, I don't whine my decision of moving to Egypt but I simply long for a return that brings me back my people and our sea.

On my way to work I caught sight of a poster that made me cry like a baby (not difficult to happen, any way...). It was a poster of MARIZA, a world famous portuguese fado singer who is not even one of my elected ones but, nonetheless, is still PORTUGUESE.
My heart was full of pride when I saw her image up there with the name of our country held up high towards the sky. She will perform in the CAIRO OPERA HOUSE and my ticket is already on my hand. I am so excited to see her and, eventually, cry like a baby AGAIN during the concert.

For no reasons and for many reasons, I am proud of being portuguese and watching Mariza's recognition in the world is a joy I can hardly describe.
God bless all portuguese that bring the name of our country to the world.

FOLLOW THE LINK AND LISTEN TO MARIZA AND A BIT OF MY COUNTRY'S DEEP, DEEP AND RICH SOUL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQrq7nLPHEw

No comments: