Tuesday, August 23, 2011


Triggers.
I am used to eating music, breathing music, waiting for music to arrive from the most unexpected places.
I invent music from the silence or a simple knock on the door. Besides that, I work with music all the time, not only performing it on stage and teaching with it but also orchestrating my band in Cairo, correcting them and giving them the "nuances" and details I need for my dance.
I am aware not all dancers are so picky and focuses on music as I am. Most dancers I know are not so obsessed with it as I seem to be but I think that s cool. Differences makes us rich, don t they?
Due to my usual music overdose, I tend to ADORE silence so it s only natural I never watch television (except for special movies I really wanna see) and have three triggers I listen on a daily basis. These are the only ones that I can stand listening to all the time and they are also the ones that make my juices flow, my inspiration come and my fire UP in flames.
These are life savers when I think I ve lost my way and this dirty business I am surrounded with is not for me...when I am so tired that I forgot why I started dancing, in the first place, then I run to these goodies and they trigger the FEELING of being a natural born DANCER.
Laying by the side of my stereo are:
1. Michael Jackson collection (all the albums he ever released);
2. Billie Holiday (another large collection);
3. Om Kolthoum (yet another huge gathering of unforgettable songs).
These are triggers that get me flowing once again to the rythm of my heart. Reminding me of the PURE FIRE that burns in the soul of every artist, not the one who dances for money, power, status or even applauses, but the one who DANCES because he cannot NOT DO IT.

No comments: