Monday, August 22, 2011


Wondering...
Why is it that teaching Oriental Dance is more and more difficult as I acquire more and more experience and knowledge of it?! By logic, if you know more and better of a subject, then it becomes easier to teach it but I seem to swimm against the tide, as usual!
Then truth is, the more I know about Oriental Dance, the more doubts and questions I have.
Sure I have my own convictions and discoveries about it and those are the ones I pass to my students but they are ONLY my very own perspective of the subject and, even being mine, they develop and change with time and life events. Nothing is static, specially the knowledge I assimilate in my career and LIFE.
I feel kind of surprised when I see teachers so full of RULES, being so sure of everything and having the crystalized answers for every question. I am more and more clueless, although I guide my students into their own path to find their own truth.
It seems that QUESTIONS and the feeling of "knowing nothing" is REALLY what we get as we progress in an art form or subject.
The more I know, the least I seem to know and questions fall from my tree as if we were in full Autumn bliss...
I am not worried about it, though...just FASCINATED with it.

3 comments:

sara said...

I love you raw honesty.....your openess and willingness to be vulnerable and not claim to know everything and be so concrete. I wish more teachers had your wonderful humble nature. cheers.

Joana Saahirah of Cairo said...

Dear Sara,
Being honest is a full time treat.
I do my best to be honest with myself, first and most of all. From that point, everything comes clear and pure. I try my best not to be ignorant enough to suppose I know it all cause I know better than that!
Glad you enjoy reading my blog.
Love,
j.

Joana Saahirah of Cairo said...

Dear Sara,
Being honest is a full time treat.
I do my best to be honest with myself, first and most of all. From that point, everything comes clear and pure. I try my best not to be ignorant enough to suppose I know it all cause I know better than that!
Glad you enjoy reading my blog.
Love,
j.