Wednesday, August 3, 2011









Unexpected pleasures in Egypt (everywhere, really!)





Aside from ex-President Hosny Mubarak s hot trial, the political soap opera in Egypt with its sudden turns, lazy and lovely Ramadan, hot-HOT summer upon us and many projects in my hands at the same time (overwhelming!), here are some of the simple pleasures a girl can still find around here:



1. My yoga daily practice...a bliss of a present I give to my own body. No need to be creative, inventive, talented or anything else. Just me, my body and my breath simply BEING in PEACE with each other. Heaven on earth...




2. A cup of fresh milk in the middle of the night of this hot Cairo summer or after returning from an exciting anf FUN salsa night.



3. Seeing the Nile (as dirty as it may be) when I leave from my home.

4. Receiving a nice, innocent smile from an old man while walking in the street. No sexual tone to it, just a good, old, pure smile from the heart.

5. Listening to Om Kolthoum in the most unexpected places.



6. A cup of fresh juice in the down town of Cairo followed by the ability of ignoring the origin and surroundings where this juice was found and kept.

7. Night at the Hussein, searching for new songs to choreograph and teach in upcoming events all over the world. Sitting with the funny, upbeat merchants of the "khan el khalili" market and spending an afternoon with them (cracking jokes, watching them dance for me - lucky girl, I know! - listening to the very bad "shaabi" music they have the pearls they do not think are so special any ways...).



8. Reading a great book on my way to Maadi, while picking at the window and watching the incredible sunset on the corniche.

9. Moroccan bath with a smelly soap that turns your skin into baby s skin in a second.

"Oh, yeah...mama likes some posh treats as well!"


10. Falling in love. Again. For real! With someone who is WORTH IT. (this one is a must at all times). Finding the love of your life with all the GREAT romantic and passionate stuff of romances and movies.YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Enjoying the silence and empty streets of Cairo at "iftar" (break fast) hour in Cairo.



12. A lovely Tango night or an exciting Salsa night with equally exciting partners to dance with!




13. Finding the "right" movement while choreographing a piece of music that thrills me. The moment of discovery of "that" movement I ve been looking for is just a Christmas morning experience. Papa Noel coming to town. I jump and cry of joy when that happens!

14. All the other small, simple, apparently insignificant things that compose our days and turn them into a colourful LIFE.


No comments: