Friday, June 14, 2013

What they (beautiful London dancers) said about my work (whoa, Nelly!):

This is something I so rarely do:  take the time to let compliments (about me and my work) sink in my heart; the time to feel proud and happy about myself, to celebrate my small and big victories and to expose in public a tiny bit of the immense amount of appreciation, respect and support I receive from Dancers and general public from all over the world.

Trembling and a weird sweat is the result of the simple idea of exposing these comments - maybe because I´m not used to praise myself and feel quite ashamed of "bragging" and pulling out my own gallons. I tend to be so supportive when it comes to pinpointing other people´s achievements and qualities and quite reserved when it comes to recognizing mine (contrary to a lot of the small popular belief that calls me arrogant - quite an ironic comment that always locates me in the rope where the balance between loud laughter and crying lays).


I´m a no bulshit,  LET´S DO IT kind of girl and a highly self-critical one. While I tend to overlook other dancer´s faults and treat them with tenderness, I am the harshest and coldest critic of myself.

Plus: my focus is not on what I did (even less on how greatly I´ve, eventually, done it) but on WHAT I DIDN´T DO - yet. Who cares about what I DID - I ask myself. That´s so...YESTERDAY. What´s next to conquer? - I yell at the skies.

So it´s only natural - and also wrong - that I don´t allow myself to look at and celebrate my victories as I desserve.

On a Happy Birthday self-note I offer myself this new space to share some of the public comments on my last Courses ("The Secrets of Egyptian Dance" and "Om Kolthoum Secrets") ministered in London. Even before I share them, I already feel shy and deeply grateful.
Notice that every message that was "too personal" to share is not - and will never be - exposed in public (in order to respect the privacy of who sent it) but I have read each one of them and felt deeply touched by it.

Here we go on this joyful self-appreciation ride (should remember that old rule: do what you preach!):


 " I think I have attended the MOST INSPIRATIONAL bellydance workshop EVER today with Joana Saahirah today! I wanted to personally thank you for sharing all of this with us...you are not only a magnificent dancer...but also a woman and a teacher to look up to! And thanks to Frederique Assor Liscia for organizing such an event...it is not only about bellydance technique...but MUCH MUCH MORE! Every bellydancer should attend her workshops...they make you feel EMPOWERED not only as a dancer...but AS A WOMAN! "

Claudia Bellydance
 
*


“Here are some personal thoughts on your workshop (Secrets of Egyptian dance) which I very much enjoyed.
I really like the way you connect dance with real life principles. (...)

I also remembered something you mentioned from your workshop last November “don’t pretend to be someone you are not…” Something along those lines, can’t remember the exact words J Again, it was spot-on for me. I keep reminding myself that I can still dance Egyptian style even though I’m not one (or look like one). It’s all about the dance and music.

Timing is always an issue when it comes to running workshops because there is a lot to teach and share, so that’s my only minor ‘complaint’. I know there is so much more I can learn from you, so I guess we will just have to get you back to London as often as possible."

Euvian



*
"Thank you from my heart for the gracious nurturing approach, for your patience and love you brought to the workshops and classes. I feel very honored to have been your student even for such short period of time. Be blessed in all your endeavors and much success and luck everywhere!
With love,

 Ayanna"



*

 
·     "Hi Joana, it was such a pleasure to meet you and to participate in your workshop. It made me realize that what I  had before was like chewing bubble gum when you are hungry. So I thoroughly enjoyed the class and was inspired."
 
Olya Nikulin
*
 
"I did both days (...).
Saturday was fantastic for me - I learnt a lot about the baladi style and reasons behind it, the expectations and you put it across perfectly - the booklet was a great bonus to get to keep.
I love your teaching style and the way you had us doing exercises of everyday things to incorporate into our dance. That is a very valuable lesson to me and one I can take with me to aid with improv which I struggle with. You have opened up my eyes to so much more. Thank you.
Sunday morning was also very inspirational in that I could understand the differences in the moods, tempo, etc of Oum Kalthoum songs and what's expected of the dancer and to be able to justice to Oum Kalthoum when dancing to one of her songs.

You are a wonderful wonderful dancer - and so inspiring. It has been lovely to meet you and study from you - I shall take some very valuable information back to NZ with me and I know my dance will improve no end when I apply what I've learnt from you.
Thank you so much for your generous giving of your knowledge and yourself.
Big hugs."
 Carol
*
 
o    "Thank you for the light and inspiration you brought with you, Joana! It was two amazing workshops and a part of your magic will always be in my dancing from now on! Enjoy the flight (of life, love and dance and everything in between)! ";)
 
*
"Safe travels dearest. Thanks for changing my life!!"
 
*
 
"Joanaaa have a great trip!!! Thank you for your passion and dedication but specially for showing us the real meaning of egyptian dance! I think I'm not the same dancer or even person anymore ( in a very positive way ) Loads of love!!!"
 
 
*
 
"We love you very dearly, and Good Luck wherever your magical steps might take you to...You open the portals of new Dimensions in Oriental Dance! Xxxxxx"
 
Ayanna Rakqs
 
*
 
 
 
" The workshops were really inspiring, i understood and learnt lots of things that will definitely change my approach of the dance and my dance for ever. Thank you!"
 
Frederique Assor Liscia
 
*
 
 
 
"We love you too ;0( and we will love to keep you here...obrigada for sharing so much knowledge, love, passion...u r truly amazing and inspiring ;0) and gave so much is such little time. Espero q regresses pronto y muchisisima suerte en donde vallas. Xx"
 
 
*
 
 
 
"Thank you Joana Saahirah for being a inspiration beyond the physical World, for Taking us Gently into the Multidimensional Self WHERE we learn to Uncover who we truly are. Loved every minute of it and Indeed you have so Much to Share and you do it Wholeheartedly! ;-)))"
 
Ayanna Raks
 
***
 
Thanks, my wonderful fellow Dancers-Sisters for your loving presence, feed-back and Existence. Taking you all in my heart* 

 

1 comment:

Hazem_Zoom said...

ohh am sorry, I posted a comment here yesterday but I think I didn't send it correctly,

anyways,that looks cool you have people in London liked and commented your career

once again Happy-Birthday (too late congratulation, I know)

I like this statement in your subject here (( my focus is not on what I did (even less on how greatly I´ve, eventually, done it) but on WHAT I DIDN´T DO))

Another cheers for u here.