Wednesday, October 14, 2009


Cairo, the 13th October, 2009

“Discovering the Great Nawal El Saadawi and other arab feminists”

I´ve said this a thousand times before and cannot stop myself from repeating it: one of the greatest things about Oriental Dance – or Belly Dance, as it is commercially known – is that it opens DOORS to so many other interesting and ESSENTIAL subjects not only connected to women but to the world and, even further, to the Universe.

“Common” people and even “professionals” of all levels fail to grasp the depth of this dance and take it as simple sport or cultural/performative activity (at its best!), not allowing themselves to enjoy or pass out to others the whole “picture” and the mind/spirit/heart opening this ancient ART enables.

One of the great women I came in contact with in my constant research connected to Oriental/Belly Dance and Women´s creativity and Empowerment is
Nawal El Saadawi (please search for her books and google her on the internet and find a tremendous treasure in this lady/warrior).
No other readings or personal contact has filled me with such joy and extra energy than the one I am presently living right now.
Egypt has had some famous – and well punished – feminists and, knowing local prejudices and social pressures as I know around here – all I can do is admire these women that risked their lives to defend what they knew it was their born right: DIGNITY and FREEDOM.

I am overwhelmed and excited while discovering one more pearl in this endlessly rich country…
To know more about the subject, I suggest you may also check on this book:

“Men, Women and God(s)” by Fedwa Malti-Douglas

No comments: