Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cairo, the 29th October, 2009


"The Whirling Dervishes of Cairo - Magic in movement"


I can find magic and QUALITY of LIFE in the most unexpected places and if there is ONE thing that really fills my soul and keeps it saciated is GREAT, SOULFUL MUSIC.



I have a particular need for evasion and that's part of the reason why I am an artist. Art can take you to another worlds and, ultimately, to the only invisible REAL world that IS.

The MAGIC happened again in the "El Khoury Palace" in the Hussein.
It takes my breath away to realize how rich egyptian culture, music and dance are. It's just the richest country in terms of inspiration, source materials and talent.
"Ah, ya Misr..."

I had been there before taken by the hand of a dear friend who is also a dancer and a musician. I had my mouth opened and the tears in my eyes for the whole show and the night ended up at the famous Mohamed Ali street where some of the best musicians played for me during the whole night. What a luxury!


This time I took my assistant and another friend with me and they both surrendered to the show's appeal. A single word can describe it: SOUL.
Visual smartness and even beautiful sounds and enchanting words are empty if there's no Soul in them. The "Whirling Dervishes" of Cairo are proof of that.


Looking for some quiet time on my own - and presuming my own audiences don't know about this place! - I was recognized and warmly surrounded by egyptian fans and two tour guides that bring crowds from all over the world to see me. I was both shy and happy about these encounters.
I cannot live without the spotlight but I also enjoy the shadows of that exposed place. I need to rescue myself from people observing glances once in a while as I am totally exposed and vulnerable practically every night. Well, I chose the wrong place for it.




Me, no make-up, no shine, no lights and the "stage attitude". Just me, my simplest self disconstructed from the stage throne. A little uncomfortable but very sweet to be cherished like that.


Egyptian Pancakes and Shopping in "Khan el Khalili":








We made our shopping of materials for "bedlehs" (dance dresses I design and produce myself).




Very hard to pass by and ignore the harassment from the shop "managers" who yell stuff like : "I don't know what you're looking for but I have what you need" at us. You don't know if you laugh or you let them get on your nerves. They can be pretty insisting and daring in a "mosquito" kind of way. Irritating way.



We visited the MUST egyptian pancake shop and had our share of honey and "eshta" on these famous gourmand treats while being harassed by hungry and sweet street cats.

We laughed and had a couple of teas with shop owners, simply enjoying our conversation like there was no time or space. A rare occasion for me, always on the run, always productive and with no mood for talking with strangers who almost always end up trying to pick you up (no patience for that!).
We dreamt and were taken to heaven in the "Whirling Dervishes" show. All the musicians were exquisite and the immense palace was enrolled into God's presence by the hand of music.




PRECIOUS.



All Saturdays and Wednesdays, at 20.30h at the "El Khoury Palace" in the Hussein, Cairo.








No comments: