Friday, May 20, 2011

Cairo, the 19th May, 2011

Just another day in Paradise...

I´ve mentioned it several times and I will never quit doing it: one of the best things that has happened to me during this great adventure of my LIFE in Egypt is my friendship with my beloved teacher-grandfather Mahmoud Reda.
It is not even the dance he taught me or the continuous push to incentivate me to choreograph or all the precious knowledge and experience he has passed on to me.
What I truly treasure is the childish laughter, mutual respect and the pure love we ended up having for each other despite our age differences and the fact (I often forget) that he is the Number 1 authority in Egyptian folclore and a unique talented Genius in what he did in "Reda Troupe" and all over his career.

We sit and eat together, cracking jokes and naughty remarks so easily you could mistaken us for truck drivers sharing beers by a street roullotte.
He shows me his newest dance and I show him mine, telling him what my heart searches for right now in terms of music. We listen to old tapes together and comment on the zones that are more delicious to choreograph. We often agree and disagree, in the same proportion.

I ask for some Gene Kelly goodies and Mahmoud ends up watching it with me, for the 1000th time admiring the wonder of TALENT, yet he finds out an old VCR tape portraying old classical ballet pieces...as the children we are, always in love with dance and "knowing more of it", we watch it and talk about it, always LAUGHING and enjoying each other´s presence.

He´s there for me and I am always presente for him, even if physically absent.
We know there is a sacred, hidden garden that only belong to us.
I show him Billie Holiday and sing for him, he finishes the concert also singing for me and we laugh, laugh, laugh...
His studio is like a home to me and his presence is the closest I could ever ask as far as family is concerned.

And, because I am not blind, I can see a treasure when it is in front of me and I say THANK YOU.
And, as usual, that´s the only prayer that IS.

No comments: