Monday, May 2, 2011

Me and myself.
Some reflections before heading back home to Egypt:


After teaching a BALADI workshop and an Oriental Dance entrance choreography at the
EAST FEST LISBON, I feel like starting all over again.
From zero.
From silence.
From nothing.
From all I´ve achieved until now but with nothing on my hands. Dropping the old so that the brand new can arrive and fill me with JOYS!

Performing without my orchestra was another challenge for me and difficult one, for that matter.
I was simply terrified to dance on stage without the crazy, talented men that usually create my musical/human background. For a long time, I thought I would not be able to do it at all.
I could not cancel the commitment with the organization of the Festival because that´s my word of honour on the spot but I was sure I would have an hysterical attack right before going on stage.
Well...guess what?!
I was wrong.
We´re often stronger than we think we are.
I danced on cd music and I hardly felt it but I sure did my best from my heart and that reached my audience. And that´s all that matters.

I was lucky to find Khaled Mahmoud - teacher-artist who was also in the Festival - and a wonderful dancer called Leyla (from Servia) with whom my soul immediately connected.
Good quality people in a world of assholes and two-faced people.

At the end of this cycle - one more! - I feel like I´ve done my job the best I could, as I always try to do. Just did my best but I know there´s so much more to come. Starting from NOW.

No comments: