Monday, July 16, 2012

The Egypt of other eras, the REAL Egypt, "my own" Egypt...

Above there is a photo of a present that a dear friend - Yasmine Kamel - offered me. She told me, and I remember it from my first studying trips to Egypt, that it was a MUST at every egyptian´s homes. 
I cannot imagine something like that happening now! It is "haram", after all. 
In one word: DEPRESSING.
Bellow there is another symbol of "my own Egypt" that, I ´m afraid, is dying in front of my eyes. 
My number 1 inspiration - Om Kolthoum - and the Sphinx in all its glory and ancient wisdom.
As an Oriental Dancer who truly LOVES and RESPECTS egyptian music, dance and culture I cannot stop from feeling nostalgic about a country that once was "Om Dunya" ("The Mother of the World").
Dancing against ignorance. LIVING in FREEDOM and CREATIVITY against ignorance.
Still LOVING EGYPT, even against ignorance...



No comments: