Monday, July 9, 2012

Summer readings for dancers and other curious souls...


This will be THE Summer of MY BOOK as I will be on/in it with body, mind and soul but - by God! - I will not remain without my own food. Here´s the Summer reading delights for my Summer:


* Still digging into the addictive Anna Karenina by the russian genius, Leon Tolstoy.


* Happy to have on my hands a copy of my dear friend Morocco´s book
 "You asked aunt Rocky: Answers and advice about Raqs Sharqi and Raqs Shaabi" . Finger licking good.

Aunt Rocky met me after one of my Cairo shows. She was loving, appreciating and - surprisingly - generous with me in a way I am not used to see in this competitive dance field. 

From that moment on, we became friends who share similar views on Dance & Life. She is as witty, intelligent, fierce and funny as they come and I have dreamt about her book since the moment we talked for the first time. So much experience, knowledge, observation skills translated into a wide and well informed view of the Oriental Dance world panorama.
Just started reading her book and felt trapped in fascination from the first page.

Now this book I dreamt about - Rocky´s book - is out there and you can order it through the link:

Lucky me that I have my copy personally autographed with a loving dedicatory by the author and delivered from her  own hands to me, followed by a warm hug and the usual exciting laughter she always provokes in me. 
Private message to Rocky: "Love you, dear tiger sister!"


**************************
P.S.
There are not a lot of GOOD books on the market about Oriental and Egyptian Folkloric Dances. 
Here is the suggestion of the ones I truly recommend:

1. The Classic: "Serpent of the Nile", Wendy Buonaventura.



2. Grandmother´s secrets, Romina Fawzy 



3. "A trade like any other", Karen van Nieuwkerk



Wishing you all great readings, dance and a LOVING summer!

2 comments:

Vonnie said...

I love to read and I love to dance. I need to look up your suggestions.

Joana Saahirah of Cairo said...

Sure, Vonnie. Do so!
It is never too much to get extra information about the History of Dance, its cultural aspects behind the PRACTICE and all the contexts that explain why Oriental Dance is what it is today.
Enjoy the Dance and the readings.
Hugs from Cairo,
JoanaS.