Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The eternal student...



Professor D. Hassan Khalil´s workshop at SALAMAT MASR FESTIVAL was a wonderful surprise for me. I almost forgot how great it felt to be on the student position and not on the teacher/performer. For the last years of my life, I have been blessed with a crescent recognition of my work - both on stage and on teaching - and that has left me no time or opportunities to do what I love most: LEARNING.


I´ve been criticized for lots of things I consider QUALITIES of my own and, therefore, have no intention to change. One of them is my apparent willingness to admit that I don´t know everything and the never hesitating desire to put myself in the place of a simple student. 
I do believe that you can always learn something new from everyone, even from the bad (sometimes!). As time is short, I try my best to learn from the GOOD ones and delight myself on receiving surprises that, otherwise, would not visit me. 


This afternoon s workshop with Prof. D. Hassan Khalil was one of those occasions when I truly enjoyed myself. A simple bedouin choreography with lots of cultural context info and tips regarding the nature of movement and energy use while you dance. Laughter, lightness and kindness from the teacher and just a warm atmosphere where I could enjoy dancing with no pressure to show something, do something extraordinary or teach something to someone else. 


I remembered how great it feels to be a student. Thanks to SALAMAT MASR FESTIVAL for bringing such interesting people to the event and thanks to Prof. Khalil for the good times he provided us with.


LEARNING is FUN!

No comments: