Monday, October 22, 2012

"The Choreography Journal" - home delivery included.:)


Due to the kind request of many of this Blog´s followers, I´m gonna open the Door´s of my own Choreographing process.
From tomorrow on, you - dear reader - will enjoy a "Choreography Journal" where I will expose my thoughts, feelings, doubts, discoveries and lessons learnt throughout choreographing one more piece of Om Kolthoum.

Do you see Cocas frog stoned (check the image on the top)?! Well, I´m not saying that´s me choreographing but I´m already assuming some kind of wonderful trip - very similar to the one - I imagine! - drugs offer to people who dig them.

Let me start by saying this: I am not a FAN of CHOREOGRAPHY. I started studying Classical Ballet at the age of 5 years old and I was forced to memorize and perform choreographies I didn´t understand or feel for many years: that can train a DANCER - as well as ruining his/her spirit and zest for this Art.

Then I went through a wild phase - full of learning curves - until I landed on Oriental Dance and thought all was great, intuitive and free. I finally met Mahmoud Reda - who pushed me to choreograph, like it or not - and I realized that IMPROVISATION is a blast (and an essential part of an Oriental Dancer´s ability) but not enough to develop yourself as an Artist and Teacher.

I always felt choreographing was against the nature of Oriental Dance - I still think it is, in many ways - and that FREEZING movements carefully chosen in a sequence that you´ll repeat until exhaustion is not my idea of "having fun" - until I also found out how much richer and interesting my craft would be if I just insisted on this tough medicine and JUST DID IT, anyways. The cherry on the top of this cake came when I started teaching at major festivals around the world- mostly to advanced students and professionals. It was easy to realize what a great teaching tool a GOOD choreography can be. It´s not about memorizing a series of movements to present at a home party (although I think that can be cool too) but much more about DEVELOPING skills, ideas, perspectives, feelings and OPENING your MIND and HEART to brand new perspectives that can give you a deeper insight about Oriental Dance and yourself.
So: here I am, the proud born improviser: surrendered to CHOREOGRAPHY.

Light your incense stick and your candle; put the music on and DARE to fail a lot - until you grow (and believe me: Growth comes to the ones who don´t give up and are brave enough to accept and caress their own fragility).

Let´s take this TRIP together, shall we?




No comments: