Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Russia (love souvenirs) in images*

In Moscow, near from the great Bolshoi Theatre*
The feeling is (what you see in this photo) AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! I´m used to be received all over the world with open arms but some places are just special and Russia is certainly one of them. The fact that my work is understood and loved in the country where I found the highest level of Oriental Dance is the best cumpliment I could receive.

One more time, I felt at home (Astrakhan and Moscow). Olesya and Galina Efremova and Elen Ramiza made sure that I would think about requesting a russian passport for myself by the loving (and super professional) way they´ve treated me.

Then came the students, audiences, colleagues (I was VERY lucky with the artists I met along the way) and strangers who seemed to be on a mission to offer me the best work trip EVER.
~
In a telegram mode, here we go:

Astrakhan - "Spring of Oriental" Festival - was made out of love, literally. There are so many reasons why people are in the dance business (because it´s also* a business) and I´ve rarely seen two people who moved so clearly out of pure love:
Olesya and Galina Efremova (mother Galina as I ended up calling this fabulous lady) create na event that reminds me of the reason why I started to dance in the first place.
Workshops, show, competition and several private lessons taught in a week plus a very sweet pampering ride that included:

Visit to the gym (you have no idea about the core and motivations of Russian History if you´ve never shared a "gluteus special" class with russian women in a small town gym);
Massage and facial in a little, old, russian home by the river Volga (only natural products and tender hands healing all my wounds and exhaustion);
Special photo session in an old, traditional merchant´s home (typical cloths and props included) - photos taken by the talented eye of Galina Efremova;
Beautiful food (ah, those Astrakhan mushrooms!) and good-bye party with singing (me, singing a bit of Fado and Jazz and my lovely ones singing traditional russian tunes especially for my ears).

Olesya also offered me some "new English" classics I´ll never forget:

1. "Animals from the sea in my soup" (she meant sea food soup);
2. " A very slow, peaceful, cool fish which happens to also eat children" - famous river character who haunts the locals´imagination;
3. "The sausage will miss them very much without them" (she meant: "the sausage - a dog - misses its owner when she´s gone)

Then again: the most amazing things in life cannot be translated through words. Trying to do so is the ambitious desire of Literature (and love letters).

The (wonder-full) look on Mamma Galina´s face when I repeated one of the choreographies I taught in Astrakhan: priceless; little Leila (check the vídeo on the post before this one) and me in our private lesson, connecting, laughing, building TRUST; the hugs, smiles, watered eyes, whispers of deep appreciation I received from everybody I met along the way...cannot thank this life enough.

 
Then came Moscow and its own surprises and delights. Elen Ramiza - the organizer and talented dancer who presides the National League of Belly Dance in Russia - is the Super Woman. I have no idea how she does it - really!
Fast, adrenaline fueled ride in Moscow...
 
The journey started with a visit to the Kremlin (Red square) with the lovely Marina Oganyan who patiently guided me (the tourist!) throughout the centre of Moscow; then followed an evening of private lessons teaching (always love to see that spicy combination of TALENT and CHARACTER) and the jump into the Festival itself.
 
The best dance colleagues ever - Warda, Katlin, Sophie: love you, ladies! -, students who were eager to learn and grow (typical of Russian dancers and one of the reasons why I adore them) and some personal surprises that reminded me of what´s REALLY important.
 
Performing with an egyptian orchestra was a great bónus, of course (Safaa Farid´s orchestra). Two of the musicians had already worked with me and we all spoke the same language - although it was not MY orchestra, it was almost there. No time for rehearsal - the usual jump off the cliff to keep me on my toes, alive and brave.
 
Silences, heart explosions, LIFE shared with audiences, students, dancers, strangers...my cup runneth over. Plus: Sophie (one of my colleagues) called my attention to the Oriental Dance "russian style" and, for the first time, I got the point (agreeing with it is an whole other question). It´s clear that I´m highly shaped by the years of life and career in Egypt so I tend to judge according to that CORE I know so well (it´s actually part of who I am) - there´s nothing wrong with it but I STILL HAVE TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND towards other tastes, proposals, ideas. And this is what Russia does to me: opens my mind, heart and soul.
 
So in love am I.
Thank you, LIFE*********************
 


Galina Efremova photo - Gala show of "Spring of Oriental" Festival

Judging table in Astrakhan*
Me and beautiful Olesya Efremova - backstage in Astrakhan.




Galina Efremova ´s photo.
 
Galina Efremova´s photo. A moment of true WONDER (you can see it in my eyes) - the connecting brigde that is music & dance, the RELIGION that pulls us all together right where we belong.
With my wonderful women Warda Maravilha and Sophie Armoza (love you, ladies!).
Gemini sister found (we´re both born on the 13th June!) - what a treasure!And remember, baby, every dancing opportunity is a unique gift we should be thankful for. Beyond fear and insecurities there is the awareness that no moment is ever garanteed. Love you, Katlin Shafer!

Moscow time - at the show. Courtesy of Aida Hassan (who was a sweet heart and a true professional with me).

 

My new russian style dress - bought on the spot and loved for eternity.

Me and my sister Olesya in Astrakhan (love you, woman!).

My favourite photo: a little girl staring at me while I was performing. Astrakhan. Moment caught by the heart (eyes) of Galina Efremova.

Russian style photo session at old merchant´s house (Galina Efremova´s amazing photos)


Show in Astrakhan.

What comes from the heart goes to the heart - my rule, my life.

Russian me*

Receiving the love (and the many bouquets of flowers) in Astrakhan.

Moscow moment - at the Carcadé party organized by the lovely Aida Hassan.

My baby "The Secrets of Egypt - Dance, Life & Beyond" is dancing around the world with me. Here, with Olesya and the sweetest girls after one of our workshops. All copies of the book were SOLD OUT. :)

With Safaa Farid´s orchestra - Moscow.

Moscow magical gala show*


Are you talking to me?
Spicy moment - photo by Galina Efremova.

In front of the Bolshoi theatre* - photo by Marina Oganyan.


Russia at my desk - always. Samovar (thanks, Alia!), book of Russian Painting (gift from Shanti Sukhova) and Oriental Dance Russian League soap. Love is inspiring to me and this is what Russia has been for me.

See you later, mother Russia! I´ll be back this November. Details of the events will be posted soon.

 

No comments: