Thursday, May 15, 2014

The nice girl syndrome (NO DIVAS ALLOWED!)

 
It´s funny how so many people expect me to be a Diva (arrogant - the other side of extreme insecurity -, rude, not accessible or kind) and how many others are surprised to know me and see I am - in their own words - a very sweet, nice person. I call it the "nice girl syndrome".  ??? Basic question:
How should I be?!
 
A few facts to take the dust off this messy conversation:
 
1. I was raised to be polite, kind and generous to EVERYBODY. My career, success or any other circumstance that I may enjoy do not make me better (or worse) than anyone else. We´re ALL humans and deserve to be treated with equal respect - so this is the first thing that shapes my behaviour (if it bothers you for some reason, I suggest you call my mum);
 
2. No one - except the PUBLIC - made my name. I am not a "rich man made star" or someone who was launched by a big shot, by a corporation or by hell itself. My name was built from the appreciation, presence, word of mouth and persistent support of common people who are not even connected with the dance business.
When I signed my first work contract in Cairo (Egypt) I had no fixed show schedule. The rules of the game were simple: "you´re on your own: if the public requests YOUR name, we book you; if the public doesn´t request it, you and your orchestra don´t work". We all lived from our job so...chop, chop. See where I´m getting at?
It was the simple man and woman who kept coming to my shows, talking about me and my dance, recommending it to family and friends and so forth. Rare people believe this is how I actually started to build my name but it´s the TRUTH.
 
Unless I suffered from amnesia, I could never be an arrogant asshole and/or ignore whoever reaches for me to ask me for something, congratulate me or simply to say "hi, I love your work". NEVER. Being a normal, polite, warm person towards everyone who contacts me (with good manners and intentions, of course - creeps are not welcome, thank you very much!) is PART of WHO I AM as well as part of BEING a TRUE PROFESSIONAL.
 
I have no inclination, time, energy or (lack of) education for DIVA attacks, high noses and idiotic arrogance. Greatness is seen through my work  - that has been more than enough for me. 

No comments: