Saturday, August 15, 2009

Cairo, the 13th August, 2009

“Ramadan and turbulent/growing times”


“I believe that it´s wise for all of us to keep in mind that we´re in process, and to keep on our travelling shoes. Nobody´s here to stay. We´re in process.”

Maya Angelou (1985)


*** While living in Egypt – the country of contradictions, par excellence – I often asked myself how can life embody so many different points of view, so much lack of reason, logic and sense. As far as I´m concerned, most of life is pure invisible mathematic and yet, nonsense…contradictions, contradictions, more contradictions. Trying to get it straight is pure madness.

As if Egypt was a weird example some wicked-naughty God wanted to present to the world to show that human beings are, essentially, contradictory and prone to mix evilness with kindness in such an extent that you loose the will and ability to classify: this is good and that´s bad.

The hero becomes the evil guy of the movie in a second. It´s just disarming and tiring to try to follow up with all these strange current of events…

*** Ramadan embodies all the major human contradictions and I must admit I´m kind of nervous by being in the country – for the first time – during the holy month.
More news – and shocks/surprises/wonders – to come…trying to be prepared for the flood.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AM FOLLOWING YOUR EXPERIENCES BETWEEN PORTUGAL AND EGYPT FOR SOME YEARS NOW... I AM ALSO IN LOVE WITH EGYPT, EVEN THOUGH I JUST VISITED IT ONCE (IN THIS LIFETIME...BUT I HAVE FEELINGS FOR EGYPT THAT WERE UNDOUBTEDLY BUILT UP IN OTHER LIVES.OTHERWISE I CANNOT FIND AN EXPLANATION!ANYWAY...I LOVE EGYPT AND ALL HER CONTRADICTIONS). AM GETTING YOUR MAILS BECAUSE I HAVE WISHED FOR SOME YEARS NOW TO HAVE BELLYDANCE CLASSES WITH U...LIFE HAS OTHER PLANS FOR ME THOUGH! NOW READING THIS POST IN YOUR BLOG, FELT LIKE SAYING HELLO TO U! AND ASKING ABOUT "THE FLOOD" U MENTION: IS IT LITERAL OR SYMBOLIC? CONTINUE YOUR GREAT WORK! COMPLIMENTS AND WHO KNOWS MAYBE WE CAN ONE DAY HAVE A COFFE IN PORTUGAL (CAIRO IS DIFFICULT FOR ME!) GOOD LUCK AND ALL THE BEST IN THIS CRASH-COURSE TO HOLLINESS U CHOSE(OR WERE CHOSEN FOR) IN EGYPT!Alicia