Thursday, August 27, 2009


Cairo, the 27th August, 2009


“Marley and Me, the movie or the knowledge of others “


We’re masters of each other. I truly believe the main truths can only be found inside of yourself. No master, guru, priest or religion can do your own spiritual “home work”. It would be such a pleasant thing if someone or something could “fix” our idiosyncrasies, dark spots, fears and doubts and, yet, I have found out that there’s a personal path of growth that HAS to be built by the only one and only master existent in the Universe: Your own conscious (totally believe that the same Universal Knowledge residing in what we call “God” also resides within us, if only we could always be aware of it and act upon it…the world would be a much greater place to live!)

We search for answers and solace in relationships, careers, friends, lovers, drugs, dance (me, me, me), etc…we search and search for it in books, seminars, gospels and false prophets. Most of us – according to the endless religions existent in the world – search for inner peace and answers in Holly Books which tell you how to act and distinguish the good from the evil and yet it always end up not being enough…we never quite get there.
It’s uncomfortable to admit that the work you do with yourself is the only way to grow.
“How can I be my own master if I feel so deeply ignorant and lost?!” That could be a typical answer from any of us.
Through so many happy – blissful, I might add – and terrible times I’ve lived in my short but intense life, there’s something I know for sure (very rare for me to know something “for sure”!) and that is: “The real growth comes from within and not from external sources. No one and nothing can “fix” what’s dysfunctional with your own heart and soul. Only YOU.”
Oriental Dance – and the crazy, absolutely fantastic life I’ve been leading because of it - has been an incredible helping hand in some of my most essential discoveries.
When I affirm that this dance has changed, saved and shaped my life, I am by no means exaggerating a bit (you should all try it!).
To endure this incredible – and, sometimes, painful – path of self-knowledge and sublimation, I always count on the words, experience and insights of others.
I am my own master and I recognize everyone else can be, if even just for a second or a common experience I may not recognize as valuable. Recognizing this, here it is some pieces of knowledge I found in a movie (not a great movie but one that made me cry like a baby) and in a magazine.
They may not be the answer to your problems or existential questions but they surely provide some inspiration and, hopefully, a ray of light shinning enough to open up your mind and, I dare to hope, your soul. Sharing the “soul goodies” with all of you…my pleasure.


· Excerpt from the movie “Marley and Me” (not a “must see” for me):

“A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes.
A waterlogged stick will do just fine.
A dog doesn’t care if you’re rich or poor,
Smart or dumb.
Give him your heart
And he’ll give you his.
How many people can you say that about?
How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special?
How many people can make you feel …extraordinary?”

· And some tips from one of my favourite ladies in the world: Oprah Winfrey:


1. What you put out comes back all the time, no matter what.
2. You define your own life. Don’t let other people write your script.
3. Whatever someone did to you in the past has no power over the present. Only you give it power.
4. What you believe has more power than what you dream or wish or hope for. You become what you believe.
5. Worrying is wasted time. Use the same energy for doing something about whatever worries you.
6. If the only prayer you ever say is thank you , that will be enough (from the German theologian and humanist Meister Eckhard).
7. Trust your instincts. Intuition never lies.
8. Love yourself and then learn to extend that love to others, in every encounter.
9. Let passion drive your profession.
10. Love doesn’t hurt. It feels GOOD!
11. Every day brings a chance to start over.
12. Trouble don’t last always. (A line from a negro spiritual, which calls to mind another favourite : “This too, shall pass.”)

I enjoy and value every constructive voice and whisper around me but know that, in the end, the real change and action can only come from inside myself.

No comments: