Saturday, August 1, 2009



Cairo, the 31st July, 2009





"Performing on my day off (?!)"





This was supposed to be my first day off.


I made plans, an whole day for myself to recover from the hurricane of the last two weeks.


When I least expected it, I was - once more and thanks God! - called for work tonight so...forget about the plans of the day.





It was a hard night. The orchestra seemed to be disconnected from the stage and each musician was playing for himself, not for the group or for me. Maybe the result of the pressure and exhaustion we have been handling (me, more than anyone!) and a mentality of common employers (instead of artists) I try to fight against.
Musicians are seen by society as a kind of scum very similar to the level this same society attributes to dancers. Not being respected as an artist and getting used to many years of performing in cheap night clubs in order to bring bread into their homes results into a generation of musicians who are not motivated. They mostly do the minimum they're required to do and do not make any effort to play well as nobody will really appreciate them (or so they think).
I try to change this mentality, at least with the musicians who work with me. Enough of employees. I need artists and the country needs ARTISTS.





If it's true a dancer should perform in her optimal physical and emotional state, it's also true that some of the best stuff I come up with on stage arise from being tired or deeply sad. Dance, after all, it's my escape, my language and whisper into the world.My personal alchemic process and my way of dealing with life's joys and madnesses.

Despite the extra stamina I had to take from God knows where and the hard audiences ( the "prestige" egyptians and arabs so much treasure takes spontaneity and joy from people), tonight shows were full of revelations.


My legs gave in and I fell on my ass in the middle of the stage and, immediately (my Saint Anthony never fails me!) I start to perform a mean, mean, crazy "zaar" ritual right there on the floor. When I got up, opened my eyes and reenacted by ability to think clearly, I saw the dazzled expression on people's face.


I knew. I just knew it had been amazing. From a mistake. Me, falling on my ass...waw...


I closed my eyes during my accordeon "taksim" and flew away, forgetting - for a long instance - that I was performing in front of my audience. AMAZING!



I slept on my chair between shows, that's how tired I was and still it was a night of discoveries and challenges I was wise enough to use in my own benefit.



I thank God. My prayer, always.


Check the following videos...


Me, as a Saiidi man with my male dancers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g46QlLptbn8




Me, doing a classical entrance at the "Nile Maxim":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JRop-1FfbY

No comments: