Monday, August 24, 2009



Cairo, the 24th August, 2009

"Me going crazy on video and Ramadan, so far (our 2nd day of Ramadan)..."





So far, I'm enjoying the peaceful, silent mood Ramadan is offering us during the day. It seems the city has fallen asleep...it sounds and feels nice. A bit of a break from the constant noise and hassle.





So far, as well, I've not noticed a decrease relating to the sexual harassment in the streets. Still there, still the same...no comments!:(





So far, so far... dear brothers and sisters, please be sensible...I totally respect all religions and rituals but I hope to be respected in my own choices too. Although I live in Egypt, I am not a muslim and I don't feel compelled to practice Ramadan or any of its rules.
As I ran errands during the day and under the hottest sun, I dared to grab a milk-shake to drink on my way to down town Cairo and I was simply fulminated by taxi drivers and regular people who happened to see me and condemn me for not abiding to their fasting schedule.


Blameful eyes and reproaches were clearly offered to me, reminding me that - after all - I do recognize people's right to choose their religion and practices but that choice doesn't seem to be available to me. Aren't we all free to choose what we believe in and to practice the religion of our own choice?!

Grrrrrrrr...Dared to get a cab during the fasting break (around 18.30h) and suffered, once more, as I waited and waited and no damned taxi would show up. When the time comes to break the fasting time (from sunrise to sunset), the whole city retreats to wherever there's a table and eats, splurges in food and more food...nothing else matters and the city just stops. No one can run against this tide!
There were people offering drinks and food to the few drivers of the very few cars that circulated at this time.
From now on, I DO KNOW: I'm not going or coming from anywhere at some specific times and will try to avoid, as much as I can, to drink or eat in the presence of famished muslims.


Now, unintentionally contradicting a bit more of Ramadan's rules, here are two crazy videos of myself doing what I do best: LIVING, DANCING at the GREAT "NILE MAXIM"!





Follow the links:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ogWt2e0yB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnF9L5DCtdE

No comments: