Saturday, August 29, 2009


Cairo, the 29th August,2009


"Ramadan readings...knowledge is power"

I am a curious freak by nature. If something intrigues me or I just can't understand it, I MUST see what's down there and find answers. Sometimes (ok, many times!) , I wished my mind was more passive, less inquisitive and such a trouble maker.


Living in a muslim country, surrounded by muslim people and living according to their own rules (not necessarily the rules that come, in truth, contained in the holly "Koran" or the "Hadiths" but the traditions and rules that were created and distorted by the ones who followed after prophet's Mohamed death), I cannot stop to wonder about the RESULT, the practical result in these muslim society's lives and the way people are - or not - happy and healthy (phisically, mentally, spiritually).


I am up to any religion which brings peace, happiness and love between human beings.
Any religion! Anything that brings a higher life quality to human beings must be perfect.
Anything that's sparse in words, theories and forbidden stuff but rich in kindness, honesty, truthfulness, beauty...
Not harming others, not lying, cheating, stealing, killing, etc are values I embrace I have never had a religious education in the common sense of the word. I must admit I don't miss having had one!

Unfortunately, that doesn't happen with most religions (Muslim and Christian come to my mind right ahead) and the result of their influence on people has been disastrous for so many centuries. Wars, killings, judgment from priests and sheiks who cannot stop being bad themselves or make other people better, Inquisition ( the biggest shame of the Christian Church) and so many awful things that have NOTHING to do with Divinity.


From all religions I know, Muslim is the one I less understand. I don't dare to say the problem is with the religion. Maybe the problem is with me and my limitation to understand a complex subject so distant from my own education, values and inner structure.

Maybe it's ME who cannot see the sense and beauty of it. I admit it.

And yet, I see - on a daily basis and everywhere, not only in my work - the result of the practice of Muslim religion in the Middle East (I suspect I'm refering to the way people chose to interpret the "Koran" and not its REAL message...).


No where else in the world I've seen so much corruption, prostitution, mentally sick people with problematic issues towards their body, sexuality, emotions, etc... No where else I have seen so many men desperate to achieve power and money at any cost or women wishing to sell their bodies for that same money men afford.

No where else in the world I've watched how men treat women as a property they own, use, abuse and even beat up with the consent and support of the community ( "a woman who misbehaves deserves to be beaten..." is a common treat between men and even women!).


No where else in the world I have seen betrayals and the ugliest things human beings can do to another human beings.

And, allas, no where else in the world I have seen so many people praying and attending mosques and, a second after that, stealing, cheating and lying for all they're worth for.

What's the sense of all this and what's the use of imposing a religion - any religion - if the results are disastrous?!


Here are some jewels of Quranic comments illustrating a bit of the nonsense I am talking about. These are famous references and they are part of the common sense knowledge of most arabs and egyptians until the present day. I have confirmed it in my personal life in many occasions.
  • Famous commentator Fakhr ad-Din ar-Razi (1149-1209):

"(God) created spouses for you of your own kind so that you may have piece of mind through them." (3:21) as "proof that women were created like animals and plants and other useful things (and not for) worship and carrying the divine commands...because the woman is weak, silly, and in one sense a child."


"Men are the support of women (qawwamuna 'ala an-nisa) as God gives some more means than others, and because they spend of their wealth (to provide for them)...As for women you feel are averse, talk to them suasively; then leave them alone in bed (without molesting them) and go to bed with them (when they are willing).

Men are in charge of women, because Allah has made some of them excel the others, and because they spend some of their wealth...And for those women that you fear might rebel, admonish them and abandon them in their beds and beat them (adribuhunna)."


It's hard to comment these famous - and well respected - texts which so many muslims follow until today.Are there any comments at all?!
Does such grutesque ignorance deserves any mention?!
Because I am aware of my own ignorance when it comes to Muslim religion and I often feel startled by not understanding the incoherences of my surrounding environment in Egypt, I feel seduced to study the subject and educate myself.

Here are two books you absolutely HAVE to READ if you wish to understand (and, hopefully, respect) MUSLIM religion.

  • RAMADAN READING SUGGESTIONS:

1. "No God but God", by Reza Aslan

Amazing back tracing of the Prophet's life and the way Muslim religion was born, grew and developed until our days. All aspects of the prophet's life are clearly mentioned and accurately connected with the practice (correct and incorrect) of the religion I can watch being practiced today in Egypt, all arab countries and others who also profess Muslim religion throughout the world.


2. "Muhammad", by Karen Armstrong


Another biography of the prophet. VERY GOOD!

Because you teach by example - always! - the life of the prophet and all he actually said and did (as we know it, so far...no one can really proove it though...) while he was alive has way much more to teach than what their followers practiced after his death.


I already understood - from both these books - that there was a huge cut - and loss of truthfulness - when Prophet Mohamed died. What others have done from his original message seems to be unfair and evil.


Knowing what I cannot understand, trying - in full state of humbleness - to reach other people's minds and hearts is an exercise I cannot stop to practice.


After all, we're humans and we must have some common treats within our hearts and souls (I even doubt it after I've seen so much around here but I keep wishing for the best!).

No comments: