Tuesday, August 4, 2009


Cairo, the 3rd August, 2009
"Down Memory Lane"


I am not a fan of missing the past.I always think the PRESENT moment is the best with no exception.

People come and go from your life, friends travel and return, lovers are born and die, homes are occupied and abandoned, work places exchanged, your heart so many times broken and then alive, once more when a new love arrives and cleans all the mess the last one left on your insides, your guts, your deepest feelings...life is a continuous stride of events, an unstoppable current of "accidents", suprises, attitudes and what many may call "luck" defining where you stay today.


I rarely think about the past. I am a constructive person by rule. An exception happened today when one of the managers of the place where I started to perform in Egypt called me to tell me how much all the staff misses me there. It really touched my heart to hear him tell me that I am missed and business was harmed by my absence. It was more than flattering, it was a small induced treap to my own private "Memory Lane".

It was three years ago that I started there and still it feels like yesterday. So many joys, hopes, friends, victories on a daily basis, so many guests who came to watch me perform over and over...it has been an incredible ride, despite all the horrors I have already lived both in my personal as well as in my professional life in Egypt.

I can't thank God enough for where I am today and for all the acceptance and appreciation from my audiences who have been following me to the "NILE MAXIM" (and I've just started there, not even a month ago...:):):):) YES!!!) but I am sending a huge hug for all the "Pharaohs" staff with whom I shared so many nights and days of my recent life:

Randa, the singer with whom I shared laughs and cries, songs and "siestas" on our backstage room when we were too tired to handle our schedules. Randa with whom I confessed and shared frustrations and joys, my passions and my heartbreaks, my dance and our common aspirations (despite cultural differences because she's egyptian);
Magdy Orabi, another singer who became my friend. So much sweetness and kindness, talent and generosity. I'll never forget our spontaneous dance with Randa on stage during that cruise when guests seemed to have disappeared.

Sabrine, the girl who cleans and keeps the bathrooms and one of my biggest fans and "advisers" on the baladi side of dance and life. She took care of me like no one else there. All her tenderness, the songs she used to bring me to the backstage room, the heartfelt hugs she always delivered me.Oh, God, I miss you, ya bint!
All the staff, managers, cleaning people, cooks, machinery people, everyone with no exception (well, with the main management exception that deserves no comments...).
I cannot fully express my gratitude and how much I miss you all.


The place was a lab, a self-teaching kind of school and all of you helped me grow and endure the hardships of this dancer's life. Love you all!


Follow this link to share a glimpse of what seems now a distant past at the
"Pharaohs of the Nile":

No comments: